How can I make my daughter wipe her own butt

My 4 year old daughter has been potty trained for over 2 years. She has been wiping her own bottom with no problem since the beginning, but ever since I enrolled her in daycare she asks me to wipe her butt after she goes poop. Then out of nowhere today I find that she has "written" on my walls with her excrement. I don't know why she's done it or how to make it stop before it happens again.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on May. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i think i know who this is.....and if it's not then i'll just say that my 4 year old sister in law has the exact same story......except maybe for the drawing with it
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 5:49 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Well, that's not good. Maybe at daycare they wipe her butt and feel it's fine. My daughter 6 and when she learned to use the potty, she still strugged with the wiping. I found that wet wipes helped in the beginning. I would ask at the daycare if they wipe your daughter's behind. If they said yes, then encourage them not to. With the writting on the walls, this may help. Have her clean it herself she's old enough not to do it and by her cleaning up the mess on the walls will help her to not do this again. Speaking with your daughter something maybe troubling her.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 6:54 PM on May. 16, 2010

• I had to wipe Kiwi's butt for a while, it was just hard for her to reach and get it all. She would end up with rashes and kind of smelly if I didn't. I just told her to wipe first, and I would do it after her to catch anything she missed. She was finally able to do it all herself at about 4.5 years. But, I still have to help her occasionally on the really sticky ones. I agree with happynewyorker, make her clean it. A bucket with some soapy water and either paper towels or a rag, and let her go at it. Did you ask her why she did it?
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:23 AM on May. 17, 2010

• omg gross! i get the kandoo wipes for ds (4 yrs old) and insist he washes his hands after potty everytime (again using kandoo soap so that he actually will.) if he did mess up the bathroom like you described he would be the one cleaning it.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:29 PM on May. 17, 2010