does anyone know what vanishing twin syndrome is? Thanks

Do you know what it is? What happens if you are going through it? What causes it? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on May. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes, it happened to me. You don't really know anything until an u/s. The only theory that I have heard to explain it is something along the lines of they believe that most pregnancies start off as twins, but one is absorbed by your body to ensure that you have a strong viable baby. But since most women don't get u/s done early in the pregnancy, they don't know for certain how many pregnancies actually do start off as twins, and it is too cost prohibitive to do a real indepth study of it, to do an u/s with all the pregnancies in a large enough area.

Anyway, my last one was definitely twins at first. I had u/s at around 8 or 10 weeks, because we weren't sure how far along I was. By the 4 month, there was only one baby. I had no pain, no spotting, or anything. I believe that Discovery Health has a documentary about it, I don't know if you can find it, that might help.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 6:30 PM on May. 16, 2010

• I have to ask you 29 again, did I have the same thing with my pregnancy? I found out I was pregnant January 16, 2009. I had spotting January 22. The ultrasound showed a small c (the baby) in a long horizonal oval. I remember looking at the screen thinking, "Why isn't that a circle and that's a lot of space for a one baby." March 1I had a small mass discharge with bleeding. I went to the hospital and my cervix was opened. I thought I loss the baby for sure because of the tissue loss and open cervix, but I had a 7lb 3oz daughter born on her due date of September 17. Is it possible I had the missing twin or just mass that needed to leave the uterus. It was never explained.
    janel09

Answer by janel09 at 6:46 PM on May. 16, 2010

• My aunt thinks she had this....when she was around 10 weeks or so along she began to bleed lightly during the day...then it became VERY heavy later on that night and she passed a large clot. She had one ultrasound to confirm the pregnancy but nothing was seen.

She got to the hospital where they performed an ultrasound to find baby safe and sound....her bleeding lightened and then quit...the rest of her pregnancy went normally, then she delivered a very healthy little boy.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:58 PM on May. 16, 2010

• I am wondering if this is what I may be having. I got negatives on dollar store tests but still having symptoms of being pregnant. And I started bleeding after hauling and lifting heavy metal with hubby. I passed a few small clots and one bigger clot. The bleeding spotting included lasted a total of 4days. I am still having nausea and llight headedness and I am having alot of pressure in my lower back and abdomen. I stopped on the 9th.
    Anonymous

• My aunt had a miscarriage with twins but only lost one of the babies.. The other was a full term, healthy baby boy.. It is possible to MC only one of the twins and carry the other to term..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:12 PM on May. 16, 2010