How do I use these herbs? (PIOG in Home & Garden)

I just bought herbs for a potted herb garden and I got
Basil
Oregano
St. John's Wort
Lemon Verbana
and Chamomile.
I know what to do w/ the basil and oregano, but I bought St. John's because I want to see if it helps with mild depression-ish stuff. And, I would like to use the Verbena and Chamomile in my tea. The problem is, I don't know how to use them- do I wait until the end of summer to harvest them? Do I dry the verbana and chamomile before I use it or can I just make it from fresh cut? How do I actually eat or drink the st. johns wort?
Thanks for the help ladies!

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 6:51 PM on May. 16, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I wouldn't take the St. John's Wort. It can have negative side effects just like medicines can have negative side effects. It is an MAOI and can raise blood pressure. MAOIs are very powerful chemicals that regulate neurotransmitters in the brain. When you grow your own herbs, it is nearly impossible to know the concentration of the active ingredient (unless you have a chromatography lab or a g-mass-spec machine).

You can use the verbena and chamomile fresh cut or dried in tea. Harvest about half the plant and let it grow back. You'll get a greater yield throughout the season that way. I harvest herbs before rain storms. They grow back very quickly if harvested before serious watering.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:25 PM on May. 16, 2010