If you do not believe in the after life..

If you do not believe in life after death or souls what happens to your memories, and life experiences? wouldn't life had been a waste if this were so? Thoughts??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on May. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well they end too. Some of the "memories" you can pass down to your kids through stories, etc that you used to teach your kids and they'll use to teach theirs but eventually through time they'll be forgotten. That doesn't make life a waste. It simply means it comes to an end just as you did. The only time life is a "waste" is when one doesn't appreciate it for what it is.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:42 PM on May. 16, 2010

• They die too and you become the memory. 

wouldn't life had been a waste if this were so?   I really don't understand this line of thinking.  This implies that you are living to die.  I live in the moment, treasure the past and look forward to the future.  I don't waste opportunities and I cherish memories.  My legacy is immortalised in my children.  How can that possibly be a waste?

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:55 PM on May. 16, 2010

• What they said. I never understand that line of thinking, either.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 9:30 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Not a whole lot more to add. Kristi and beeky nailed it.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:08 PM on May. 16, 2010

• yep, what they said!
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 1:13 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I really don't understand why life without an afterlife would be a 'waste.' I think, if anything, it makes this time even more precious if this time is what we have. I do suspect that death is the end of consciousness as I understand it now, but in no way think that life has to last forever in order to valuable.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:03 AM on May. 17, 2010