how often?

how often is average for a 4 month old to nurse?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on May. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As often as the baby wants is the norm. Demand feeding(follow the baby's early hunger cues, not a schedule of every two or three hours etc) is recommended for many reasons, chiefly that it helps to build and maintain the needed production levels at various points in the child's life. Some babies cluster feed every 45 minutes, others got two or three or four hours between feeds, then nurse for a longer period of time. Both are perfectly normal. As long as the baby is putting out a minimum of 6-8 diapers worth of wets/dirties in 24 hours there is no need to worry about how much the baby is getting or how often.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:25 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I don't know average, but all 4 of mine nursed approximately every 3 hours during the day (7 am - 9 pm) at 4 months, slept through the night.

Answer by missanc at 8:34 PM on May. 16, 2010

• At 4 months old my son was probably still nursing every 2 or 3 hours. I think the average is anywhere from 2-4 hours. Some BF babies have bigger appetites than others. I do know that when he was going through a growing spurt, it was like every hour or hour and a half.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 8:44 PM on May. 16, 2010

• 8-12 times in 24 hours is considered average. I have one friend whose baby only nursed 5 times in 24 hours at 4 months old, and he was HUGE! All 3 of mine have nursed at least 12 times in 24 hours at that age!

From How often should I nurse my baby? Some mothers are concerned when their baby wants to breastfeed more often than every two hours. "During the early months, many babies do what is called 'cluster feeding;' spacing feedings closer together at certain times of the day (typically during the evening) and going longer between feedings at other times"...Research now shows that restricting the amount of time at the breast and extending the time between feedings can reduce not only a mother's milk supply, but also the fat content of her milk

The more frequently baby nurses, the higher the fat content of the milk.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:16 PM on May. 16, 2010