A question for Christians about Bible

I'm one of JW's and we follow only the Bible as a whole, so what part of the Bible is it ok to reject? are we to just ignore any part that doesn't fit "our" lifestyle? I'm not being sarcastic here, but really if the Bible says to go out and preach the Good News of God's Kingdom how do you think it's ok not to? Jesus didn't say only those who go to College can, and what of not mixing with those "called a Brother in Christ" who are willfully sinning? or was that just that mean Paul saying that? what parts of the Bible do you throw out so it fits you? or are we as Christians to follow and live as the Bible teaches,
(and yes, I believe that the Mosaic Law was fulfilled with Christ Jesus so no we don't stone people or observe strict diets...ect but we use the Hebrew Scriptures as a guide along with the Christian Greek Scriptures)

lisarose45

Asked by lisarose45 at 8:39 PM on May. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Are you just defending your religion here? I dont think any Christian would tell you not to share the Gospel with others. You have to do so respecting other people's beliefs though. We also have to remember that we are not to judge others for what they do, which means we dont just shun them when they do something we believe is wrong.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:30 PM on May. 16, 2010

• I dont discard any of it, but the New Testament is what I try to go by today, the old testament is more for reference.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 9:36 PM on May. 16, 2010

• most Christians and Christian churches believe in, teach and/or encourage sharing Christ, the gospel, God's love etc. just not everyone goes door to door... often it's just one on one as lead by the Holy Spirit. And if people don't go door to door to share the Gospel doesn't mean they are rejecting the bible, it just means they are using a different method.
    Anonymous

• I don't reject any of it.

I understand that many of the stories are meant to teach and often metaphors are used. Each person has to read the Bible and interpret it themselves. There is no way the Bible can be taken as a completely literal work. Even simple phrases like " Be fruitful, and multiply" are  metafors. God is not telling me to eat lots of fruit and practice my times tables. This is a very simplistic example just to show why I believe the Bible is written in poetic language that often uses metafores to teach lessons.

I understand you feel differently, thats fine.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:06 PM on May. 16, 2010

• actually my question stems from this Q:Someone stated in another post about JW's having a human prophet telling them what to do. Who is this prophet?

and since we do follow the Bible and not a modern day Prophet I wondered if people thought us "odd or different", then was there a part of even the NT(or what we call Christian Greek Scriptures) they thought didn't pertain to all "Christians" but only a few in doing what Jesus commanded his followers....

Just curious.......

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 1:02 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I believe the whole Bible is given for doctrine.An indepth study is enough to see what is applicable and what isn't. As a JW some of the doctrine in it was not followed. They say we are to abstain from blood, but they eat it.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:47 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I think most Christians of various denominations believe that they are followinghte bible - the thing is not everyone agrees on what the bible teaches. It may not be that they're not rejecting parts of the bible - they just don't agree with how JW's/Watchtower choose to interpret the bible.

As for preaching the gospel - I've always liked the quote from St. Francis "Preach the gospel at all times - if necessary, use words."
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 8:57 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Lexylex:As a JW some of the doctrine in it was not followed. They say we are to abstain from blood, but they eat it.

Who are "they" cuz "we" (JW's) do NOT eat blood, this was a command that wasn't just a Mosaic Law, it was started with Noah and reinforced by the First Century Christians who were taking the lead in spiritual matters. if you know of someone who was eating blood that was their action not what "we" as JW's who follow the Bible would do......

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 12:51 PM on May. 17, 2010

• eringobrough:  { not everyone agrees on what the bible teaches. It may not be that they're not rejecting parts of the bible - they just don't agree with how JW's/Watchtower choose to interpret the bible.}

See we follow the patteren that Jesus set, when senting out his early disciples, he directed them to go to the homes of the people. (Matt. 10:7, 11-13) The apostle Paul said regarding his ministry: “I did not hold back from telling you any of the things that were profitable nor from teaching you publicly and from house to house.”—Acts 20:20, 21; Acts 5:42.

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 1:01 PM on May. 17, 2010

• eringobrough: As for preaching the gospel - I've always liked the quote from St. Francis "Preach the gospel at all times - if necessary, use words."

Yeah, I like this quote!!! I believe our actions do speak louder then our words and can bring reproach on God when they should bring praise, this is what I call "Lip Service" when what one says doesn't match what they do. God rejects those who only give lip service according to the Scriptures. Jesus said it so well, Their actions were out of harmony with their words. (Mt 23:1-3)

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 1:07 PM on May. 17, 2010