May is ALS Awareness Month, but no one ever seems to be very aware of that...

Do you know what ALS is?
And have you seen anything this month that helped you be more aware?

**As someone who's MIL passed away from ALS, it's a cause I have become very passionate about for some time. I'm always glad to see when popular television shows or other publications help to raise awareness about this horrid illness. However, I haven't really seen anything this month besides ONE Extreme Makeover Episode... I'm sad to say I haven't seen more! It breaks my heart to know there is no help for these people - no cures and no answers...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:33 PM on May. 16, 2010 in Health

• Lou Gehrig's Disease... yes its unfortunate that people are not aware of this stuff. Thank you for educating us!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:35 PM on May. 16, 2010

• I have to agree with you most Neurological disorders(my DH has MS) get overlooked by Cancer(all types) and ALS and MS get put onto the back burner I hope they find a cure for both in the near future. Sorry for the loss of your mother in law.
    Anonymous

• I don't know what ALS is and I haven't seen anything about it any where. But I will research and tell my mother about it. She runs a bingo two nights a week and every month they pick out a charity to donate to. It's not much, just $1,000 but it does help bring a lot of awareness to causes out there.
    Anonymous

• I agree and not to minimize, but there are SO many diseases afflicting so many people, it's hard to advertise the importance of just one. The Ewing's Sarcoma sufferer is as important to them as the ALS sufferer and the Parkinson's and all the other obscure diseases. So awful : (
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:45 PM on May. 16, 2010

• I don't know what ALS is ...sorry! I also don't watch regular television..so I am probably missing adds and such.
    Anonymous

• I do know what it is, but it seems to be such a rare thing a lot of people aren't aware of it. A friend's dad passed away from it a few years ago, and a couple of other people in the area have passed away from it. Also, the dad on tonight's edition of Extreme Makeover Home Edition is suffering from it (oh em gee talk about a tear-jerker of an episode!). It's a sad disease. A long slow death, as I've heard multiple call it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on May. 17, 2010

• ALS Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or Lou Gehrig's Disease. unfortly my grandmother inlaw has she so young she is only 66 n she is the sweetest women i know but with that old school twist. she has had this for about 1 1/2 years after she had a couple of strokes that parlized her tongh so her speech is very hard to understand over time it has been deterating her on the in side recently she has lost control of arms so say if she would fall she couldn't catch her self . Finally after searching my family has found a good nursing home for her where feels comfortable. in that year she has lost most self independence that we all that for granted everyday. it is scary getting calls saying that nanny is sick so when ever boston has walks for als we go is it so much fun + just to see her glow is amazing watch all the people to support a good cause. So go for a walk for a cause it is fun nowing ur helping someone by just walking
    chipNskip

Answer by chipNskip at 8:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2010