20 month old will not sleep. help!

How can we get our 20 month old to sleep? he started climbing out of his crib 2 days before his little brother was born (which was only 40 days ago) and in those 40 days he will not SLEEP. we have driven him around, rocked him, no naps given, played with in the afternoon then bath time and claming to house with dimed lights quite noise, left the TV on & off in the bedroom. calming sounds with sound machine. I am so tired with getting up with my new born and triing to get my 20 month old to sleep. My husband helps alot but he works long hours. I hope I am not the only one who has ever gone through this. Please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on May. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You may be expecting too early of a bedtime. Some toddlers are nightowls and do best staying up until 11 or 12. Let him fall asleep when he is tired. It's normal for toddler to wake at night and breastfeed at night until they are 3. If you aren't tandem nursing someone may need to make him a snack in the middle of the night. Some toddlers can't go that long without food. All of my boys were nursing at night several times at that age and didn't sleep through until after 3. My grandson is 20 months and according to my son and dil he nurses all night (she works).

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:54 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Well maybe he's just a little jealous of the new baby or something you know they say babys can sence that. Mines not that old but he's 13 or 14months and now that im getting close to delivery he's been acting strange he wants to go to bed at 7:30 and sleep till 7 in the morning wich is good but he still wakes up sometimes through the night crying and he doesnt like to take many naps now. I understand you are stressed sounds like you have alot on your plate. I wish you good luck though people say m gona have it ruff to. My husband works all night and goes to school full time so im not gona have any help eiter lol. i would try bathing him after dinner and letting play till he starts acting really tired. At night i'll feed min a good dinner and then bathe him let him play with his toys in the tub then get him out let him play and he starts pitching fits for no reason i know hes tired then hes off to bed:)
    nicole341

Answer by nicole341 at 11:43 PM on May. 16, 2010

• I would go back to a nap - when kids get overtired they don't sleep well at night. Put a baby gate in his doorway so he can't "escape", put him in his bed and tell him it's time to go to sleep. When we did this, my oldest slept next to the door for a few nights until he realized we weren't giving in and his bed was more comfortable. You can pick him up and place him back in bed after he falls asleep.

Answer by missanc at 8:00 AM on May. 17, 2010