Is it possible?

Is it possible to have a case slight case of ppd. For the most part I am very happy to have my 4 month old dd, but I do sometimes feel depressed. For instance today I was depressed because I couldn't help my husband with some much needed yard work, I tried, but dd woke up after a only an hour and I had to tend to her. I should add that I enjoy working in my yard, but it's not easy with an infant. Other little things tend to pop up every now and than. Could this be ppd or just an adjustment period?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on May. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• No I don't think its PPD. I have a 9 month old and there were sometimes that I was sad because I couldn't do something I enjoyed because I had to take care of him, but that's all part of being a mother. You have to learn and adjust to giving up some things you enjoy doing sometimes if it just doesn't fit with the baby's schedule. PPD is much more serious than that. You feel worthless and don't want to do anything...including taking care of your child. You feel hopeless, tired, and have no energy. You may have sleeping problems or weight problems. And most severe, you have thoughts about killing yourself or harming your child.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:01 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Maybe bring her out in an infant carrier (in the shade) or go outside during her nap (bring the baby monitor thingie). I take anti-depressants for depression, and the best simple advice I have is to gogole "do i have depression" and take the quizzes. Usually they will list things like "I feel blue" and "I sometimes don;t want to get out of bed" and you count how many things you agree with or disagree with. it will help.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:04 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Could be either but PPD is usually pretty severe. Could just be hormones. Keep an eye on it. You can't do it all right now.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:12 PM on May. 16, 2010

• I consider ANY of the after-motherhood sadness or loss feelings to be PPD on some scale. I imagine that most women just need community and more support to get through it, but after a MAJOR life change like motherhood, it is expected to have some strange feelings and/or depressed feelings. Our culture does not support or even value motherhood most of the time, so we are not exactly getting "you can do this!" or "what you do is the most important job in the world" from the a-hole who chastises you for breastfeeding in public or work force that gives us shamefully deficient "Maternity" leave.
    We are constantly being told that we are not doing enough and that we should be able to manage, but all of the rules are set up for us to fail. So yes, that is something to get depressed about!
    That is probably why our nation has the HIGHEST rate of PPD.
    You are not alone...and if you need help, you should ask for it :)
    Anonymous

• It sounds like an adjustment period. Talk to your doctor, he/she could offer some techniques to relax and/or prescribe a low dose antidepressant. Someone else suggested bringing the baby outside with you, and I agree. My kids were born in October and January so it was awhile before I could take them outside with me but my sister has a May baby and once it got warm out she brought her son outside in his bouncy seat all the time. He'd play in his seat, he'd coo at the birds and giggle when the breeze blew his toys - he loved it. My sister was able to get a lot more yard work done and enjoy the weather. Of course there is no way to know if your daughter will enjoy the outdoors as much as my nephew but it's worth a try.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Yes you can suffer ppd or baby blues for sometime after having a baby i suffered with each of my boys. with my third i defintly had ppd. i went to the dr, he informed me you can suffer from ppd for some time after maybe even a year or so.Its best you speak to your dr. about your symptoms and options to help you and your family. i hope this was hopefully and dont forget you have support here at cm.
    cat260

Answer by cat260 at 3:22 AM on May. 17, 2010