When its time for nap he just screams

My eight month old twins have a pretty good schedule. i mean as good as you can get with twins.
they take naps throughout the day, around the same time. it differs because sometimes they wake up earlier than other days, I can't control that. therefore they get tired a little earlier during the day. their schedule doesn't vary anymore than an hour either way so its not that big of a difference.
but my older twin hates hates HATES sleeping.
he is very hard to get to sleep and lately when its time for a nap he just screams and cries and screams some more. its a huge fight to get him to sleep EVERYTIME.
also, hes been waking up at 3am the past four nights, and doing the samething.
he's definatly tired.
the only thing i can think is that he is OVER tired.

any advice?

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 9:56 PM on May. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't let him scream. Hold him. My grandson would scream for his parents for naps at that age and I would play him music videos on the computer and no crying. He is 20 mo now and we still watch music videos for naps. It's normal for babies to wake and nurse at night until they are 3 years old. If you aren't going to nurse them then you need to bottle feed or get them a little meal. Brains need food often for development.  

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:20 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Have you tried driving them/ him around when the expected nap time arrives? Sometimes, my DS will fight sleep and I'll just throw him in the car and drive for 20 minutes or so on the expressway (it's near our house).

Also, things that might help: Nursing (if it applies), avoid talking about "nap" or "sleep" time and just hold him to "relax" with mommy until he falls alseep, rubbing his back...OR his internal clock could be shifting.
    He also could be a high spirited child...who often come with sleep resistance.
    http://parenting.ivillage.com/gs/gsbehavior/0,,45pv,00.html
    Anonymous

• I give him his bottle when he wakes at night because they wake up when theyre hungry, and they both fall asleep with a bottle (i know, its a bad habit but we'll break it when we need to) but lately he will take the bottle for like a minute, and start screaming for five minutes, the bottle for one, screaming for five.

I don't want to start the driving to sleep habit because I'm afraid of it. seriously. my sister in law did it with my nephew and they literally had to drive him around every night and afternoon so he would fall asleep, until he was 2 1/2. soo, that is something I'm going to avoid, but thanks anyway!

he likes his back rubbed. in all the chaos I haven't thought of that today so I'm going to try that next.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 10:36 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Maybe he isn't sleepy. Not all babies take naps during the day becaue they want to do things. If they get interrupted from their explorations they get pissy (understandably so) and then may not want to sleep later because it then becomes a battle. I think that people forget that babies are individuals. My mother tells me I stopped taking naps during the day completely at nine months old. You'll have better success if you work with his unique patterns and not against them.

A lot of babies also do not sleep well in cribs or in rooms alone, many of them zonk out light a light if in a room with activity, or being back carried in a sling/wrap, or on a couch, or anywhere that is nearby to human goings on. It makes them feel safe. sleep doesn't have to happen in a bed. There is also nothing wrong with holding or rocking. What matters most is variety snf making the baby feel safe, not routines IMHO.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:18 PM on May. 16, 2010

• oh, also, learning new things causes a lot of wakefullness. There is just a lot of brain activity to process. It is like when we adults can not sleep in aticipation of going to a new job the next day, or thinking about what we need to make a trip in the morning. A lot of excitement makes it hard to wind down.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:19 PM on May. 16, 2010