• In the Spotlight:

DO ALL BF BABIES DO THIS?

So my son is 6 1/2 mos
okay so
i let him crawl around me sometimes and he just messes around, grabs my shirt, sucks on it, brings me his toys etc...he's also at the hand to mouth stage right now and teething ... whoopy

anyway
if he finds something squishy on me, like my tummy, i have loose skin and lets just say im not big but its not back to normal, so he squeezes it and plays and the tries to suck it...lol i of course stop him but even if were sitting
Ill havehim on my leg and if my legs bent he wraps his body around my leg and tries to suck my knee...so i stop him
same with my shoulder, bicep, etc..

anything squishy or round he tries to suck and then laughs afterward...LOL

is this normal?
a game he is playing?
maybe actually thinking he can eat on any part of my body? lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on May. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yup, my 10 month old did this like crazy! lol! They are exploring things with their mouth. At this stage, all they can understand is what is in their mouth and soon will follow by putting stuff in their mouth and then either taking it out with their hands to feel it or play with it in their mouth. It's their way of learning. They go from mouth to hands to eyes. Some kids are more into putting things into their mouths than others. All three of my kids have been different. My oldest wasn't too bad about putting stuff in his mouth, my second hardly put anything in her mouth and my third puts EVERYTHING in her mouth. They say that it goes to show what their personality is going to be like when they are older.... I believe Freud came up with it. It's called Psychosexual development. I learned about it in my psychology class... its kind of interesting to look into.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 11:34 PM on May. 16, 2010

• I think all babies do this, BF or not! They want to explore everything with their mouths.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:11 PM on May. 16, 2010

• I think its totally normal for babies to suck on anything they can get their mouth on/around. He could want that suckling feeling or be teething. If it bothers you or you find it innappropriate, just pull him off and tell him that he cant suck on your knees. You'll just have to do it A LOT and provide other stimulation for him.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 10:13 PM on May. 16, 2010

• totally normal...but it probably does qualify for the "what's not in the brochure" category LOL
    Just wait until he tries to suckle on Daddy's chest! :)
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 10:16 PM on May. 16, 2010

• My son did that. He tried to latch onto daddy once. That got a squeal out of my husband pretty quickly.
    Anonymous

• Hahaha Anon. My son does that same exact stuff all the time. He's 9 months old and BF. I don't think its that he's trying to nurse on other parts of my body, but that is just baby's way of exploring. I heard somewhere that by the way things feel and taste in their mouth, is how they learn what objects are.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:24 PM on May. 16, 2010

• totally normal it's a new feel for baby a new "toy" the baby thinks it's funny, then enjoy the baby's smiles that come from it. :)
    cleo2582

Answer by cleo2582 at 10:26 PM on May. 16, 2010

• op

okay, ive just never heard/seen this from another baby before
    Anonymous

• My DD does this! And like anon, has tried nursing from my fiance=P
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 10:49 PM on May. 16, 2010

• My daughter who is also breastfed does this. I normally say, "You missed." Then I pick her up to the breast to eat.
    janel09

Answer by janel09 at 10:54 PM on May. 16, 2010