4yo spitting on the carpet & purposely spilling milk! wth?

my dd is a very good girl. she's very polite, super affectionate, but sometimes she'll do crazy off the wall things that she knows is wrong. like spitting on the carpet & spilling what's left of her milk onto the table, touching things she knows is off limits, etc. she's also been showing sneaky behavior. like telling me she finished her food & showing me her empty bowl but in reality she just poured it into her sisters bowl. is this normal behavior? she's a very smart girl & knows better, but it seems like she really just forgets. is this normal or could she have an attention problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on May. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It seems as if she is doing things that she knows she is not supposed to do to get your attention. Even negative attention is attention. Have there been any changes in her/your life/routine? Have you been stressed out? If so, she may be reacting to your emotions. Take some time with her just to sit and play a game, read to her, tell her how much you love her and tell her that everything is going to be alright. Assure her that you will always be there and that you will always love her no matter what she does. At the same time, you also need to let her know that throwing things on the floor and spitting on the carpet are no-nos and that she will be punished (time out) if she does it again.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 11:05 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Oh yes, very normal I would say. My son is four almost five. He does all kinds of things he knows he shouldn't. Like feed the dog his food he doesn't want to eat. Throwing wet toilet paper at the ceiling to watch it stick. Spitting. Taking things from his little brother and peeing in inappropriate places. He drives me absolutely crazy, but he is a sweet and wonderful little boy and I love him with all of my heart. Kids will be kids ya know?
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:02 PM on May. 16, 2010

• thanks ladies. i know she's just being a normal kid, but she's my oldest so i'm still growing with her as she goes through these different stages. i just needed some reassurance that her behavior wasn't out of the ordinary. and i didn't think to attribute her behavior to the arrival of her new baby brother. i guess that's what it is. thanks!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on May. 17, 2010

• oh ya my son is 3 and does the same thing!
    Kable0120

Answer by Kable0120 at 12:06 AM on May. 17, 2010