How do you get rid of??

So we have a bunch of "fruit flies" that have bombarded our kitchen sink. We keep it as empty as we can to try to avoid this, but they will just not die off. Does anyone know of a home remedy or anything that I can do to get rid of them??? There are so many that we have tried using a fly swatter to pouring bleach down our sink. Please help!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on May. 16, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I've seen these fly tape strip things that you hang up and it has some kind of sweet smelling goo on it. The flies land on it and they stick to it and die. Its a gross sight after there are like 10+ flies on there but it works. We had one at my old job and all the flies were gone.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:07 PM on May. 16, 2010

• I use vinegar for stuff like that.... ants too. I keep a spray bottle of it on hand
    Anonymous

• Exterminator.
    Anonymous

• First, of all, don't feed them. Wash pots, pans and dinnerware immediately, dry them and put them away. Put your dish towels in the washer. Take the trash out or use a covered trash can. Wipe your countertops with a kitchen cleaner. Now, set a trap for the nasty little bugs... Get a glass or a jar and pour about an inch of apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar (plain white vinegar will not work) in the bottom of the glass. Add several drops of dishwashing liquid. Swirl the glass to mix. At night, put the glass out in the infested area. You should have a bunch of dead fruit flies in the glass by morning. The flies are attracted by the apple cider/balsamicvinegar as it smells like rotting fruit to them. They try to land to feed from the surface. Surface tension normally allows them to feed from the surface of a liquid. However, the detergent breaks the surface tension so the flies drown.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 11:13 PM on May. 16, 2010

• White vinegar down the drain let that soak in the use hot water down the drain. If that doesn't work use some baking soda down the drain then the vinegar. GOOD luck.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 11:22 PM on May. 16, 2010

• Right by your sink, if not in it, put a cup. In the cup, you want 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar, and a couple drops of dish soap. The cider vinegar will attract the flies, the soap will drown & kill them when they come to it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on May. 17, 2010

• My grandmother usus a jar with a lid with holes poked in the top, large enough for the flies to get in. She puts a slice of apple or other fruit in the jar, some water and a drop of dish washing liquid. The fly smells the fruit, goes in and drowns in the water. I believe the dish washing liquid serves some purpose, not sure what though!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 11:04 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I used to use a gladware container and poke holes too small for the flies to get out of in the lid. i'd fill them half full of vinegar and place them wherever the largest concentration was (in my case, near the loose window). They'd climb in and be unable to get out. Then I'd throw the container out.
    Anonymous