is something wrong with my son

ok i got my son a night light about amonth ago and it worked for a while but for the past week like every night he wakes up several times anight just screaming he is 22 months old and at first i thought maybe a nightmare or something cant be that EVERYNITE so what should we do to help him get a better nights sleep and help us.

mommyoftwo0809

Asked by mommyoftwo0809 at 11:42 PM on May. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son just got throught that stage we got a nite light and i was comforting him for a while but then i let him have a few nights to self sooth and that helped a lot and now he doesnt do it but the night light really helpped and nothings wrong i think its just a stage!
    saadamarie

Answer by saadamarie at 11:45 PM on May. 16, 2010

• I believe the term is night terrors, seems to me that is what they were calling it when my son was that age. Both of my kids went thru this and my daughter more so when we were sleeping elsewhere like at Grammie's. It's scary at first I know, but after the first few times I notice my son didnt respond to anything, light, touching, or soothing...he was just in that moment. What I did was pick them up when they got like that and did the whole rocking and patting them on the back thing till they calmed down or snapped out of it. Never spoke a word to them, just rocked then put them back in the bed. Worked for us, hope it helps you.....keep your chin up I am sure its just a phase.
    Heather_F

Answer by Heather_F at 12:50 AM on May. 17, 2010

• My son does this too - its never been night terrors but bad dreams or just waking and getting scared once he wakes or simply wants comfort from mommy.. this was 6 months ago this started when he just turned 2.. now, still not better.. tried night lights, fan's for white noise, comfort blankets, letting him cry himself back to sleep with left him furious and ended in constant tantrums where he'd end up hurting himself so far not worth it to me, now I end in his bed 1-2 times a week some weeks I don't. every couple weeks he will throw in a night of full sleep so we can't consider this habit but we are at a loss too - I just hope its a phase and will go away..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:46 AM on May. 17, 2010