Pregnant teen in family, sad state of our society

When did it become okay to plan a pregnancy while you are in high school? And to plan to live off welfare? When did it stop being the norm to be married with kids, not single with kids? How sad is it that when I was pregnant the nurse was shocked that I was married, and with no STDs. I am just sad at the state of our society. My 17 yr old SIL is pregnant. My other SIL is pregnant with her 3rd. Both are on welfare, and not working, and fathers not working. My 17 yr old SIL openly admitted trying for this baby. WTH. I am just sad for these kids. And I love hearing my SIL planning to pawn off her unborn baby on our grandparents to watch, even though she is not planning on working after she has the baby, nor the father. When did it become okay?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on May. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I know what you mean. My son's school is amazed that my SO and I are married,that there are no step parents,guardians,grandparents raising our kid,etc. The forms they give you at the school have 3 pages of contact info. Ours has me at home,and my husband's cell# ! Married couples with no past baggage has become the minority!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:50 AM on May. 17, 2010

• its not but with a family full of enablers then it becomes okay
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:50 PM on May. 16, 2010

• just because people are not married with kids, or have kids young doesnt mean there horrible parents. you cant judge everyone on your SIL's.
    but i do understand what your saying to an extent.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:54 PM on May. 16, 2010

• She can't feel good about herself if she's doing that. JMO
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:54 PM on May. 16, 2010

• I know not everyone is like that, but when did we start on this trend? I am just disgusted with this trend. It used to be frowned upon.
    Anonymous

• It is not okay and parents are lax and remiss and uninvolved ....they don't keep an eye on their kids and they let them have so much freedom that they get in trouble. It is such a sad thing. The idea of a teen girl planning to get pregnant is depressing and so wrong. My daughters were so innocnet and so wise back in the 1980's and we talked about morals and responsibilty and planning for college, not getting pregnant !!!! I knew where they were...they couldn't possibly be sexually involved...I was there, my DH was there...we had our kids at home, at dinner and helping them with homeowrk after dinner. Bedtime and no TV at 9:00pm ....I mean, this was a FAMILY! Boyfriends were just friends. No heavy dating. They went to college! They got married. THEN they got pregnant. WHy can't this be the rule, not the exception?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:59 PM on May. 16, 2010

• i agree with gertie, its the family a lot of times that isnt in the teens face the way they should be, or explaining things they way they should be. my mom was a teen mom, she had my sis at 18, but went on to get her RN i became preggo at 19 and i fully believe that she didnt really explain her life to me, she tried to hide the fact that she had a baby so young, when she should have been using it as a tool to teach me how hard it is to be a single parent. teens these days think its nothing and are very mistaken once they are knee deep in it! but all the warnings in the world still dont make a difference to some. but i still hate to see a pregnant young girl, all i can think is poor child bc 80% fit the stereotype of the bad teen mom. i also am unmarried and was young, but im engaged and have been in a stable relationship for 4 yrs and am almost done with college.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Because in high schools we teach them it's OK. We have way too many programs to make it easy for teen moms to have baby's. And now many high schools have a day care right in the building. They don't think ahead. They just see the free WIC, baby showers, free daycare, they have no idea that there is work involved and that one day they will be expected to provide for themselves. They don't realize the cost involved in daily life. Kids should be taught about money, bill, rent, credit cards and utilities in middle school so they at least have some concept of what the real world is like.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on May. 17, 2010

• If it happens, it happens and there is nothing you can do about but to plan a child out of wedlock is not ideal. Even though my kids are 7 and 9 I am already trying to cook up ideas to show my girls that having a baby at a young age is not a bed of roses. People need to tell there children the reasons why you should wait until you are married to have sex. Kids need to know more then they are simple to young to pay for the consques of sex. They need to know what they are and how it affects their present, and futures.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Why don't parents raise children with aspirations to do good in the world?

Answer by rkoloms at 7:13 AM on May. 17, 2010