Question about the water breaking.

When my water broke with my last baby I was given a certain amount of hours to have the baby or have a c section ( i was having issues). But anyway they said infection would set in if broke too long and no delivery. I got an infection after 21 hours of having it broke and had to have antibiotics. So how come i read about these woman that say they had their water broke for 2 weeks before delivering? how is it possible? besides doesnt the baby need the water to live in there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on May. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It can definitely happen. Every hour your body replenishes your amniotic fluid, and if you are drinking alot of water it's replenishing more. Also, if you aren't being vaginally checked, having sex, or taking a bath you are not prone to infection. That's why midwives don't check internally often after water breaks, that's what causes infections.
    bensmum25

Answer by bensmum25 at 12:57 AM on May. 17, 2010

• 2 weeks before? I never heard of that! My water broke with my first and they never told me after so long I may need a c section but about 14 hours later he was born! You do need the water for that little baby so I am not sure what they are talking about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on May. 17, 2010

• some people wanna take risks i guess. not me.
    i always want to deliver within 24 hrs for mine and my babies health. to each is there own tho.
    yummy_mommy89

Answer by yummy_mommy89 at 12:58 AM on May. 17, 2010

• As long as you are healthy and your baby is healthy there is nothing wrong with waiting after your water breaks for your body to do what it's designed to do. As women our body is designed to give birth. It is perfectly safe to wait to give birth after your water breaks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Some moms go longer than a couple of weeks-- even months.

Water flows outward (so don't put anything up, giving bacteria a free ride past the cervix), and the fluid is entirely replaced every few hours so the baby will always be in some. PROM happens with about 10% of pregnancies, therefore pretty common (AKA a "variation of normal").

If mom & baby are doing well and there are no vaginal exams, waiting on spontaneous labor is a perfectly safe option.

You might notice that *some* care providers say mom has X hours-- but that number varies... (It's just a personal preference.) Some providers don't limit the hours, just the vaginal exams.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:49 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I've really never heard of weeks. But my midwives and research have said that the hospital/doctor limits of 18-24 hours are not necessary and just put added stress on a laboring woman.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:34 AM on May. 17, 2010

• If you are in medical care and in a hospital, you must deliver within 24 hours- this is because a hospital is so full of strange "bugs" that you and your baby are at risk of infection. If, however, you were under midwifery care and not planning to go anywhere NEAR a hospital, you can carry on as long as it takes once the membranes have popped. We ask her to take extra Vit.C, put NOTHING in her vagina, stay at home, away from crowds and small children not her own, drink LOTS of fluid, eat LOTS of protein and rest. One of my clients carried for a full week with ruptured membranes before going into active labor- she went on to have a peaceful, joyfull water birth and baby had no problems with infection. Hope that helps
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on May. 17, 2010

• The worst place to be if your water breaks is the hospital because you are at risk for becoming infected with a superbug that doesn't respond well to antibiotics. Also, the second you go to the hospital, they start checking your dilation, which gives said superbugs a free ride past your cervix.

If you want to avoid a c-section, I *beg* you to learn from my hindsight:
    Don't go to the hospital when your water breaks (even if they tell you to). Go to the hospital when the contractions bring you to your knees. And the ONLY correct answer to the question "When did your water break" is "Just now. In the parking lot."

If your water has been broken for awhile, just keep an eye out for fever, which is a sign of infection. Drinks lots of fluid--the amniotic fluid DOES replace itself and you will simply feel a new gush every hour or so. "Dry birth" is a myth.

http://www.birthingnaturally.net/birth/challenges/prom.html
    yakamoz

Answer by yakamoz at 8:27 AM on May. 17, 2010

• When my water broke it kept gushing out. There is no way you could go on like that for weeks! You'd spend 2 weeks standing in the shower! They told me after it broke I had to have my baby within 24 hours. I never heard of waiting longer.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:11 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Thats just silly yakamoz. When my water broke if I had not gone into the hospital right away my baby would be dead. I didn't have my own contractions, i had to be put on medicine to start them. If i had sat at home and waited for them then it would have been seriously STUPID
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on May. 19, 2010