re-post..didnt get enough feed back.

i have been having trouble with pain in my tummy since i had my daughter 20 months ago. i had a c-section and recently i had to have surgery on my incision to revise it and remove the scar tissue. i have been on pain meds for a long time. now that i have had surgery my doc wants to start backing me off the meds. i am in the last week of cutting down and i am feeling ALOT OF PAIN. my doc says that i might have to start going to a pain clinic to manage the pain and the meds if i dont feel like i can back off of them right now. i am worried about what that will be like. has anyone had to do this? PLEASE NO BASHING. THIS IS SERIOUS FOR ME. thank you.
to the only person who commented before, thank you. your advice was very kind and helpful. i just need more to add to it. :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on May. 17, 2010 in Health

• try and stay with your current doctor, who I assume is your primary.

It's a myth that pain clinics dispense pain meds. I mean, they DO... but for things like car accidents, cancer, etc. They likely will encourage physical therapy, massage, swimming, or even another surgery. If the pain meds are helping, a pain clinic is unlikely to be a good place for you. The majority of pain clinics will only dispense meds to people w/ concrete and verifiable pain (like cancer, a fractured spine, etc) and not nerve damage, incision problems, etc.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:21 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Nothing good will come from long term perscription drug use. They are highly addictive and you will not know how much pain your really in until all the drugs are out of your system. Cutting down and or quitting all together is gonna cause your whole body to hurt. Go off them and give it some time.
    dbqmomwith4

Answer by dbqmomwith4 at 2:26 AM on May. 17, 2010

• op here, ok i know the risks about pain meds....dbqmomwith4...tryst me i knnow the facts. that was not my question...you do not know my situation completely. i am an adult and have done the re-search. i am in alot of pain. unless you have felt what i feel you can not possible know what it would be like for me on or off the pain meds. if you read my question, i was not asking about the cause and effects of pain meds. i was asking if anyone is faceing or have faced what i am right now. and what worked for them. if you dont know then dont comment. just saying...
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 2:33 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I have not but my neice (18) had luekemia. She was on good doses of a lot of meds. Until she got off all together she couldn't get it under control. As she was weaning she felt the pain increased, however, a good portion of it turned out to be "phantom pain". Very real to the mind but not an actual physical pain. It was intense for her, however, once she was off (and with some clinic help) she was able to manage on a very small dose.

I would at least try the clinic with an open mind. Expecting the pain will bring the pain.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 8:02 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I've been to 3 pain clinics in the last 13 months. 1 was shut down by the feds. The next 1 attended for about 5 months, then I moved and attended a new one. Let me tell you they're all SO DIFFERENT. 1 dispensed me morphine pills, the next had a strict no opiod policy and the next uses a combination of other methods plus vicodin.

OP, my suggestion is to find the website of the pain clinic in your area you're likely to have your care transfered to..... I am willing to bet u almost ANYTHING that their website clearly lays out the expectation of "no opiods will be dispensed, they must be prescribed by your referring physician". sadly most primary care docs don't realize this, and transfer their pain patients to the pain clinic, expecting their pain will be controlled there. it's a messed up system right now.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:11 PM on May. 17, 2010