How do you handle video games in your house?

do make them earn video game time, or allow a certain amount of time a day or a week? how do you go about it?(if u allow games at all i know some parents dont..and im not asking your opinion ON GAMES just how you decide on when and stuff.)

Sunnysidemama

Asked by Sunnysidemama at 2:51 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We are pretty liberal about gaming in our house, but that's because DH and I both grew up playing video games. We are also NCPs, so we get the kids on weekends, holidays, and summertime. So, for us, we let them play when they want (for the most part) as long as their chores are done, and any homework if it happened to come down. That said, we also make sure we have family time doing family activities, and we take them outside and have them run around and ride bikes, as well as reading books and doing more creative arts and crafts activities.
    PandyH

Answer by PandyH at 3:05 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I kid right now are into webkinz (which is online gaming). They are only allowed 30 minutes of that per day. We don't have any game consoles, but we do have a few plug-n-play games. Again they are only allowed 30 minutes of those.

In order to "play" with either the webkinz and or plugnplay they need to have their chores done.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 2:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• IF my kids played video games, which I'm sure they will in the future, they are given 30 minutes each a day. If they misbehave, that's will be one of the first things to go for the day.

I give my kids 20 minutes of computer time every once in awhile on www.starfall.com, learning their ABC's and beginning reading. They are 4 and 5.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I only have a VTech for kids system. We don't want to have a Playstation or anything like that. I see to many children addicted to those things! But, for the VTech, we allow 30 minutes a day. Good luck!
    Erinn13

Answer by Erinn13 at 4:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I have the FIsher Price Easy Link, she loves it and I let her play for as long as she wants because it is learning games but if in the future she gets in to video games, she will have to do it elsewhere becaue I refuse to buy them!
    momto1727

Answer by momto1727 at 5:57 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• We allow them to play their VFlash a good bit if they want to. They are learnig games so we feel comfy that they're not just zoning out on them. As far as my DH's Xbox, my son can play it with him...or on his own for about an hour (if that long) a day as long as his behavior is up to par.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 7:34 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I let my boys play as much as they want as long as it doesn't get out of hand and homework and chores are done. Since there are 3 of them playing, they will sometimes sit there for a while waiting. If they fight or get angry because they cant beat a game, I turn it off. They usually stop on their own before I get too concerned.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:02 PM on Jun. 27, 2008