Why isn't 'every' Mother afforded the right to privacy in sealing a birthcertificate of her children?

Why not let every woman who's chosen to give birth have privacy too?

I'm pretty certain that some of you non-adoptees were conceived in less than desirable (happily married, financially
stable parents) circumstances. shouldn't your Mom have a right to privacy too?

Why only AFTER adoption should women be given a right to make her childs original factual certificate of birth off limits to her child?

adopteeme

Asked by adopteeme at 6:14 AM on May. 17, 2010 in Adoption

• Adopteeme, I agree with you. There was a time early on when I thought the birth moms had a right to privacy, and then learned how adoptive moms were wanting privacy about the adoption, but yes, the adoptee should have total access to their own birth records. Your posts always make me think a little more deeply about issues that our son will face. Thank you for high-lighting them. I appreciate it very much!

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 3:22 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I got pregnant with my first born days away from being legally married. He was conceived out of wedlock if you do the math.

How come I'm not able to be given privacy too, under the 14th ammendment?

Aren't rights for ALL citizens?

Open Records for all Adult adoptees Now!
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 6:37 AM on May. 17, 2010

• What are you saying. That my mother should have had the right to seal my birth certificate? What would I use for school? My son's "factual" birth certificate says he has no father. My AS's original birth certificate has my husband as his father, which is not true.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:43 AM on May. 17, 2010

• i don't understand why any birth certificates are sealed. I think they should be all open records, unless it has to do with something like witness protection issues. Other than that, every one should be able to find out where they came from. If you don't want people to know that you are popping babies out right and left and giving them up... then get on some birth control!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on May. 17, 2010

• And every mother is afforded that "right" every time she decides the not put a father on her child's birth certificate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I am a birth mom and I think when the child turns 18 that their birth cert shold be unsealed they have a right to know where they came from. They did not ask to be born or adopted and they have a right to see who their birth parents are and it is there choice to take it a step farther to see if birth parents want to have a relationship. Just my opinion
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Completely agree with anon:43.I also am a birth mother and feel it is wrong that the only person that had no say at all in the adoption should be the one with less rights .Or Adopteeme we could retroactively take original birth certificates away from all members of the triad to make it fair.Silly and stupid I know but no more than the law that doesn't allow adoptees access to their O.B.C.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 2:25 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I agree, and it makes me equally upset when moms lie about the father or don't list the father (unless they actually don't know). I have a good friend who always said "J" was her daughter's father. He paid child support for many years, and the little girl knew his mom as Grandma. Then "D" came back into my friend's life, and suddenly she was saying he was the girl's father. When I tried to ask about it, she just repeated, "D is her father" and gave me a look that said I should drop the subject. She is a good friend and I love her, but that is something I do not respect.

Sorry to get a little off topic, Adopteeme. As you know, I am in agreement with what you are saying.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 7:11 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I do not agree that at 18 a once sealed record should be broken. I believe it should always be open to those parties directly tied to the information. With some eceptions. For starters....why not ask the bio mom if she wants it closed? Most I am sure would give informed consent to keep the record open to that specfic child or to the parent of that child. We assume a need for a level of privacy where a need may not exist. In some cases a higher degree of privacy may be nessary. With the trend of open adoptions it would seem fitting that the original bc does not nessarily need to be concealed. While always exceptions, itstead of presuming a need for that specfic privacy issue....give birth parents an option. An avenue for adoptees to reconnect with their family of orgin
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:34 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Adopteeme

Don't you know us adoptees are very scary people-that most of us are serial killers and such that the birth parents need to be protected from? ;-)
    Sorry for the sarcasm but it is not that far off from what some people think.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 9:15 AM on May. 18, 2010