i took off from work for the summer to stay home, any ideas of fun things to do with kids that are'nt so expensive?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on May. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• Do you have museums or a zoo by you? Check them out. Usually they will have free days. Taking them to a local park is always good too. Try to set up play dates as well.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:20 AM on May. 17, 2010

• You don't say how old your kids are but here's a few: plan to go to different parks than you usually visit, go to the beach, play "camp out" in the living room, start collecting recylcables for craft projects (cereal boxes and milk cartons can turn into a whole city), check out the public library, there are usually a lot of kid activities in the summer. Plan DVDs to rent for rainy days.
    Plant a garden, it can take you right through the summer and you can eat your own veggies!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:21 AM on May. 17, 2010

• We have quite a few parks near us, and not too far away is a free Zoo and a free beach. My 1 son will be in summer school (mornings for a month) the other did not want to do summer school this year. We usually set up some play dates, sometimes the kids go to one of the grandparents for a day here or there. We also have outside things for home-- the kids ride their bikes, do chalk on the driveway/sidewalk, play in the sandbox, sometimes we put the kids pool up or sprinkler/ slip n slide. Sometimes we go to the library, or rent a movie/video game and have pizza and a movie day, or go to out to eat somewhere (like chuck e cheese, mcdonalds with playland......).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:44 AM on May. 17, 2010

• i do playgrounds, and if theres a beach near u , i take my kids to the beach i parl far away from the boardwalk so theres no temptation lol.. i also go to the park of the beach that has rocks so theres tide pools and kids can look for crabs and star fish. my son is 4 and he likes when i dig a big hole in the sand and fill it w/ water its like a pool for him to play w/ his trucks and cars. but i do the same if i bring them to a lake i dig a big hole. lol...we also go to a place that had trails to walk and its nice all the kids love it. and on days i dont want to drive anyweres i fill the kiddie pool or set up a sprinker. we have a small zoo near us but it ends up costing alot to go..it will cost about 45.00 to get me and 4 kids in. so we might go once in the summer. and i agree movies on rainy days. w/ popcorn. :)
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:53 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Free days at museums, zoos, pools, or other places. Check with local park district they sometimes have FREE activities planned at various park district locations. Look and see if a bowling Ally near you is apart of the Kids Bowl FREE program. Once you register Kids' Bowl Free will give you coupons so your kids can get 2 free games every day all summer. (Although some bowling allies have black out dates, and you still have to pay for shoe rental, but it does help lower the cost and it's FREE to register with Kid's Bowl FREE). Check with your local library they might also have a summer reading program. SOME library programs reading programs will give you free passes to local attractions such as water parks, pools, museums, or even free coupons for ice cream/pizza. Every local library reading program is different, but it's worth seeing what the prize is. cont.....
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:59 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Keep your eyes and ears open for specials; Some places will give discounted rates on certain days. Be willing to travel some, even for a day trip. Maybe you don't have anything near you, but their might be something an hour drive away. Research see if they have free or discount days before going. Check out the community calendar in the local newspaper or on the local newspaper website. Sometimes there are free or discounted activities posted. Activities that maybe fun. If you can swing the extra money consider renting a hotel locally with a pool. My kids all time favorite thing is when we spent the night at a local hotel. They just this weekend asked if we can do that again soon. We ate at home and then went to the hotel for swimming at the hotel and slept for the night. That's all I have to suggest.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:08 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Do you have a community pool nearby?? When we were kids my mom would always get a family pass for the summer. We definitely got our moneys worth!! When we were older, we were at the pool every day.
    jucyfrut

Answer by jucyfrut at 9:11 AM on May. 17, 2010

• We have a local free magazine that has a listing in the back of activities for every day of the month, some are free. Do you have something like that in your city? Also libraries and community centers always have some good free activities and info on things in your area.
    Going to the park, picnics, hikes, doing volunteer work together, museums, aquariums, zoo, camping out in the back yard, going to a nearby lake, creek exploring, bike rides, lemonade and cookie stands. There are so many things to do if you use your imagination. :)
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:32 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Lucky you, I have to do assist with summer school this summer, but when I am available I will be taking the kids to museums and libraries, that way their mind can still be fresh for the upcoming school year. I'm in Virginia, and we don't have much for our kids to do, so we always have to leave the state in order to have fun. I'm considering Atlanta Georgia for the 4th of July, I heard they have a large indoor aquarium there, and my kids would love it.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:41 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I live in a community that has a library, museum, several parsk (these are free) which is great activities for young kids. I also research the newspaper, as there are usually activities listed (free) such as concerts in the park, child safety days, art in the park, neighborhood parties. Also if you volunteer a few hours at an event, your family is included (free). Research as there are usually several free activities over the summer. If you have a specific faith, I do know that several churches have vacation Bible school for kids which usually included lots of fun in the sun activities, crafts, ect.
    RedHedMom39

Answer by RedHedMom39 at 9:50 AM on May. 17, 2010