2 yr old that still breastfeed

My daughter just turned 2 in March. I thought that she would start self weaning herself, but it's actually the opposite she wants to me nursed more. Before she would just nurse at night and before naps and maybe 1 or 2 times during the day. But now she wants it ALL the time, and now shes starts to actually ask for it. I always said when she starts asking to be nurse than she old enough not to nurse anymore. Does anyone know why shes is nursing so much more? And also anyone have tips to start weaning her? I really have no idea what I'm going to do it seems like shes going to be nursing forever..... help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on May. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Not sure, still bf my dd who's one. I just wanted to say way to go on breastfeeding till she's two! I'm not trying to start a controversy or fight between breastfeeders & formula feeders. Making it to 2 yrs is what the World Health Organization recommends & so few make it that long. Way to stick w/ it mamma!!!!!

Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:19 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Growth spurt? Any changes to routine? Is she coming down with something? My 17 month old increases nursing for any of those things.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 8:42 AM on May. 17, 2010

• http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning_techniques.html

The distraction one useually works well. So does subsitituin, most kids like strawberry milk ;). If you don't want to use quick or something you can put some berries in a blender and add milk. You can make any flavor you want that way.

And I agree with the first poster. Good job getting to two years!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on May. 17, 2010

• My second child nursed quite a bit even at age 2, and he weaned just before he was 3, partially due to my illness. But my third child, even though he weaned just after he turned two was always very insistant on nursing. I was able to slowly wean him by instead of nursing, offering him cuddles and sippy cups of chocolate milk. LOL.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on May. 17, 2010

• My daughter was like this for a couple of weeks, then just stopped nursing; she was 23 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:28 PM on May. 17, 2010

• If you WANT to lead the weaning process, and want to start now, just cut out one nursing session per week, until you are done. Distract and delay works too, and don't offer, don't refuse COULD work if her new interest in just a thing that lasts a few days. I also want to say good job nursing this long.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:58 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Good job making it this far! When we weaned, we started with night weaning. I refused the first feed, and offered him water instead. Sometimes he took it, sometimes not. Same thing with the day feedings. Eventually, we got away from the nights, then with the days, when he'd ask, we'd offer him water or soy milk (allergic to cow's milk). Often times, that did the trick. We also had signs for hungry and thirsty, so we'd ask him if he was one or the other, and often he was just thirty, so it was easy to substitute for what he wanted. You can cuddle when she cries, because sometimes she will, but you will both make it through.
    Good luck!! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:25 PM on May. 18, 2010