New born belly sleeping

My baby girls is two days old. She only sleeps for about a half hour on her back but if i lay her on her tummy she will sleep for a good 2-3 hrs. I know your suposta always lay them on their backs but my other two kids were the same way, they just like being on their tummys more.

Anyone else put their babies to bed on their belly?

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 8:22 AM on May. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always put my dd on her back but the minute she figured out how to roll over she would roll onto her tummy! Make sure you have a fan in her room to keep the air circulating. This way if she is on her tummy she's not breathing back in the air she exhaled. Make sure there's nothing for her to put her head under like a blanket or stuffed animal.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:26 AM on May. 17, 2010

• lots of new borns die from parents putting them to sleep on their bellies. if you're willing to risk SIDS then more power to you but ibabies should only sleep on their bellies when they roll themselves that way
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Yes.My first girl would only sleep on her tummy.If I turned her over she'd cry non-stop until she was back on her tummy.I told the doctor about this and he said that I should try turning her every time she fell asleep.Well that didn't work and he finally admitted that the baby was probably trying to tell us that that was her favorite position.When she was old enough to move about she'd roll onto her tummy herself!She still sleeps that way 8 years later.
    MyrMar

Answer by MyrMar at 8:30 AM on May. 17, 2010

• well, since no one really knows what causes sids, it is ridiculous for someone to atttack another for putting their child to bed in a comfortable manor. my son refused to lay on his back, and would cry and scream until he was on his side or tummy. how many of us lie on our backs all night? how uncomfortable! i say whatever makes the child happy. if we paid attention to every theory brought to the table about things like this, our children would never leave our arms until they were 18.
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 8:34 AM on May. 17, 2010

• No. All 4 of my kids would sleep longer on their tummy's too, if I had let them. But knowing that it reduces the risk of SIDS, I continued to lay them down on their backs until they got used to it.

Answer by missanc at 11:29 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Yes, babies tend to sleep longer on their tummy, because they tend to get into a deeper sleep in this position, and it's that deeper sleep that puts them at a higher risk for SIDS. I never have and never will let any of my babies sleep on their tummy, at least not until they can roll that way themselves, although I will always lay them on their tummy to start. And it's the same reason they sleep with Halo sleepsacks rather then loose blankets.
    smittendorff

Answer by smittendorff at 12:00 PM on May. 17, 2010