autism, i am just starting on the road...any advice from travelrs with experience

my daughter will be three, is in birth to three
I had first appt with doctor who will test her for spectrum
she sees him at 2nd appt in a few weeks
i know she will be in spectrum

some days are worse than others
each day, every little thing is played in my mind first...will this result in a tantrum?
lately i do not have anything left to give out at the end of the day and the end of the day and that comes earlier and earlier and nothing for myself-i do not exisit anymore ( my well is empty)

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 8:52 AM on May. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• Speech therapy, occupational therapy, and get her into the PPCD class at the public school. The good news is it's early on so the sooner you can get help the better. IDK where you stand financially, but you can apply for SSI benefits to help alleviate the cost of therapies. There is a book called Parent Survival Manual A Guide to Crisis Resolution in Autism and Related Developmental Disorders by Eric Schopler. Well worth the read. if you can't find it I will let you borrow my copy. When you are starting out on this road it can be overwhelming, but it will get easier. Google PECS and get started on that as well. once she is able to better communicate you'll find things much easier. PM anytime I check in pretty regularly. Hugs!! Stay strong you have to be for her sake. Also look into getting respite care services so you can take some much needed "Me time"
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:20 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Here is a link to a web magazine started by a mom of an autistic child:

http://www.greendivamom.com/category/autism/

Info on helping the household cope, tips for improving health, research and news.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:00 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Hugs! One thing that helped me was joining some of the Autism support groups here on CM. I found many good friends here, who know what it is like and who have faced many of the same issues, have advice and are ones who have 'been there done that' and are always there to listen and offer advice-- if needed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on May. 17, 2010

• My 7 year old was diagnosed with mild autism in 2006, and it has been very challenging, but my advice to you is to be PATIENT, and read as much information as you can on autism. You're on the right path now because you're asking questions about it. My niece's autism is very mild, she make the "A" "B" honor roll every report card period, BUT her behavior is awful, and I'm afraid it will hold her back when she get older. Children with special needs, such as autism, go through the same stages and challenges as typical children, but it usually takes them longer to get through them. They get stuck in all the cracks and corners of everyday life, and they need more help to learn how to deal with the upsets of everyday life. Parents, too, get upset and there are certainly more upsets and they are far more intense when a child has autism. You will be okay, take it from a mom who knows.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:53 AM on May. 17, 2010

• It gets easier, and better! My 12 year old was diagnosed when he was almost 3, had no speech, and would tantrum daily. I can tell you that the more work you put in now, the more it will pay off later. I have friends who did very little work with their kids, gave in to their tantrums, and now they can't take their kids anywhere! Get to know your child's teachers, ask them questions, pump them for information, join your local/state autism society, go to conferences, etc. I remember the early years and they were rough!! I encourage PECS (google it) - design her a daily schedule using the PECS (we had to laminate the cards using clear contact paper, otherwise my son would rip them) so she knows what to expect when. My 12 year old is now a joy . . . he still has limited speech, and he will never be mistaken for a typical child, but he finds joy in little things and is easy to please.

Answer by missanc at 11:35 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I forgot to mention earlier that my 7 year old niece receive in home therapy three days a week as well, and it is working tremendously. The therapist is a female, and she come on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at 4pm, and stay until 6pm. She often take my niece out for a walk or to a park as well. I'm starting to see a change in her behavior, and her teachers are too, but we still have ways to go. Contact a child therapist to see if you qualify for in home services.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 11:58 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Good luck to you! My niece and nephew are both autistic. I feel so bad for my sister. It's hard, but you will learn how to cope. You will probably become friendly with other parents that are in the same situation. That will help. I don't get the "celebrate" thing either.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:53 PM on May. 17, 2010

• ps

went to my first autism 'meeting'
    what is the """celebrate your child having autism??"""

i was totally confused by this...her issues make me cry , why would i celebrate her illness
    she bangs her head, has little speech or communication, does not have good eye contact, other children or looked right through as if objects, any change in routine or outing is a tantrum

why celebrate this, seems like a way to deny
    ??
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:56 AM on May. 17, 2010

• BECAUSE SOON YOU WILL SEE IT AS AN EVOLUTION INSTEAD OF AN IMPAREMENT! things will get better. she's still young enough to start, and be successful with, ABA therapy.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on May. 17, 2010

• she has three in home therapy sessions each week
    has been excepted at pre-preschool for children with delays-even with just one visit from school system, no iep eval yet and no spectrum testing yet

but celebrate because it is elvolution?
    if seeing your child banging her head on hard surfaces until bruised is elvolution and reason to celebrate
    then transport me and her back in time
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:14 AM on May. 17, 2010