We can't manage to feed; clothe; and house those already here

Did you know that every night over 1,000 young people from ages 12 -22 have no safe place to sleep in Seattle? This past week Blanket America visited and donated blankets to Youth Care (http://www.youthcare.org) in Seattle Washington, a non-profit that works 24hrs a day to give young adults safe short-term, transitional and long-term housing, as well as education and employment training.
********

Don't you think it makes sense to fix our own problems before we can worry about the problems of the rest of the world?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on May. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• well.... you would think that taking care of our own would be at the top of the to-do list. But, sadly that just isn't the way it is!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Actually the post was in reference to all those saying how it is here and how since we have all these things we should not be greedy or selfish and be willing to share with our illegal immigrant brothers & sisters who have nothing.

My point is there are more people here in need of help who have nothing; live in danger; poverty and hunger every day but yes let's focus on making sure illegal immigrants get to stay here

/OP/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on May. 17, 2010

• CM deleted a word from my post? __ wonderful __ is missing from the first sentence
    /OP/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on May. 17, 2010

• It is pretty sickening to see our government passing out our tax dollars for tutles, bugs and international sex and cocaine studies when we have millions here who could use a hand. This is one thing the Government knows they can't fix. Since they can't fix it and they just have to show all of the world how good and kind we are they have to give everyTom, Dick and Harry across the world money so they can live a better life. Never mind that half the money given out never gets to those poor and disadvantaged.
    All in all, it is a good thing that we have these groups to help our disadvantaged or we would have even more people under bridges.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:58 AM on May. 17, 2010

• There is a huge difference between a safety net and a nanny state. We need a safety net to help people who can't help themselves, not a nanny state where it's assumed everyone is helpless. Strange how some people can't recognize that.

I would like to see programs that help our homeless. I also donate to programs that help the homeless and the battered womans shelter. It's important to help those who need it.

We do need to fix the problems within our own borders. Our homeless population is a sad reflection on our society.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:17 AM on May. 17, 2010

• 12-22 where are the parents of the kids? 18-22 OK but 12 really? Sorry but I think we should be able to TRY and help as many people as we can! I know there are homeless people and I know some of them have kids and it is sad but I don't just care about my DD if there was a child whom I knew that was in danger I would say something and do whatever I could to make that child's life better!!!! I don't know I guess I just believe that this is a great nation and we can help people.

delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 10:50 AM on May. 17, 2010

• And this is just one city! Imagine the numbers for the nation as a whole? As we were saying the other week; it's not that people don't care about the plight of immigrants; but really we have pretty big problems here we like to pretend don't exist that should be solved before we take on more.

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:03 AM on May. 17, 2010

• beach we have always had problems and still helped others. What is so different now? There are more people? Well that happens over time. Just because now I have my DD and 2 step sons that doesn't mean I wouldn't help someone in need. It just is the fact that we are the nation everyone thinks about going to for help and now we wont help people because we have problems? Well you know what than we shouldn't have taken this country from her native people!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:08 AM on May. 17, 2010

• One of the big problems NOW is that we have more homeless today than we did 5 years ago. More hungry, many more in need. Around 15 million are out of work. Nearly 40 million are on Food Stamps. Now, how many of those are legal citizens I do not know, but those are the highest numbers our country has seen. How many people have been forced out of their homes through foreclosure? We do have a crisis in this country, and it isn't about health care. We have millions of homeless and hungry citizens. Yet some would have us allow every illegal immigrant who wants to live here to just come on in, and stay forever. I agree with the OP, we need to get our OWN house in order before we can help every one else.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:30 AM on May. 17, 2010

• We do have a lot more homeless. There is a tent city not far from where I live. Unemployment has gone up again, and we are seeing a new wave of forclosures in our area. It's pretty scary.

MunchMunch

Answer by MunchMunch at 11:43 AM on May. 17, 2010