chores & allowance for a 4 year old?

My DD is 4 & she is spoiled! She doesn't act like it, she is thankful for everything but I rthink she needs to learn the value of money. If we go to the store & she wants something, we usually buy it (small toys, candy etc.). But I would like for her to start earning her own money. Any ideason chores to have her do? And how much money?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on May. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• A 4 year old is a bit too early to start giving allowances, this is my opinion. My 7 and 15 year old get allowances, but the four year old does not. Just say no to her/him , and explain that you do not get everything you ask for. I tell my 4 year old all the time to not ask for anything when we go into the store because I have only enough to get what we need, but if I feel she deserve it, or I have the extra money left over, I may consider buying her something, it is up to you, only you know what your kid need, and what they don't need.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:46 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I have seeked advise from some child experts. I've learned to never give money for chores. Chores is a part of living in a house hold and each person should be expected to help out, especially their own mess. I give allowance based on BEHAVIOR, chores should be expected. At age 4 it can boost their self esteem to have assigned chores as he/she can feel they are a valued important aspect of family life. Now I do pay my kids for doing extra chores, provided we made prior arrangments. They get paid to mow the lawn, wash the car, etc. They do not get paid to keep their own room picked up, help with dishes, and one load of towels per week. Obviously a 4 year can't do those types of chores, buth he or she should be exptected to help with their own mess. I used to give a "star" each day and at weeks end they would get a "reward" as they didn't understand value of $ at their young age, so reward systems worked best, hope this helps!
    RedHedMom39

Answer by RedHedMom39 at 9:59 AM on May. 17, 2010

• We're waiting until our daughter is 6 to give her chores to earn an allowance. She'll be setting the table, cleaning up the table after we eat, scooping kitty litter, making her bed every morning and keeping her room clean, she also loves to help me sweep and mop so that'll be included with a little help from me. :) I'm going to do the chore chart too. If she doesn't get a star daily she won't get her allowance on Friday.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 10:18 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I think that both chores and behavior is expected, but we also reward it as well. Kiwi gets $2 every Saturday, with the option for more, what she calls a "bonus". She feeds the two dogs, keeps her toys picked up, keeps 1/2 bath in her room clean(wiped down, stuff put up, no chemicals), she keeps her dirty clothes in her basket, puts her clean clothes away (all go in drawers, no hanging), cleans up any messes her puppy makes (stuff torn up, and picks up any poop, washing her hands afterward of course), vacuuming her room (I do the plug/unplug) and following the rules, no naptime/bedtime fights, and general good behavior. She earns more money by helping with dishes (rinsing the plastic/light stuff), doing the regular chores w/out being reminded, holding the stand up dustpan when I sweep. Right now, she's saving for the new Tinkerbell movie coming out in Sept. She's putting 1/2 back for it, and saving the other half for a fish:-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:32 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Chores should never be paid for. Chores are what you EXPECT your child to do to contribute to the running of the household. A 4 yr old can keep their toys picked up, clothes in the hamper, put away clean clothes, towel hung up in the bathroom, wipe down the bathroom sink after brushing teeth. They can help set the table, help clear the table, help put the clean dishes away, help load the dishwasher if you have one, dusting etc. They can help feed and water pets if you have them. And as the 4 yr old gets older then more, harder chores to go with her abilities. (cleaning bathroom, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, etc.)

My children get paid for jobs that are above and beyond their choir list. Power washing driveway, decks, house, mowing and weed eating lawn, washing the cars, weeding gardens, etc. My kids are also older and have more chores in the house. They do their own laundry and clean their own bathrooms.

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:44 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I do not do allowances at all but at 4 my kids would clean their room, pick up their dishes after meals, clean the LR and playroom well their stuff mainly.
    Anonymous

• Our kids have chores, but do not get allowance. For money, I've let them use their birthday gift cards and choose what they want, explaining how much money they have, how much things cost, etc . . . When we have loose change, we count it to put in the piggy bank. It all works out. Chores shouldn't be done for money though. They should be done because families work together to keep the house clean, and people clean up their own messes.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:02 PM on May. 17, 2010