red dye #40, anyone else have child with huge reaction to?? i am NOT crazy

my daughter has huge negative reaction to red #40

anyone else out there??

when i finally found what was causing her rashes (doctor told me to keep a food journal) i called the doctor and told them i knew what it was, the doc called back and said it was a therey, i told him to put it in the chart, IT WAS RED #40!!

and her daycare, rolled their eyes when i said..no food dyes especially red 40

i am not a muchunin mom

does anyone else out there have a child with red 40 issues

rash shows it
but also, head banging, less speech, less eye contact, more stims
etc etc

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 9:20 AM on May. 17, 2010 in Health

• My son will go from an angelic child to a absolute demon terror if he has FD&C Red dye #40 Lake. He gets so emotional and defensive and very High ADD and ODD...if he has anything with the dye in it. I discovered it after he had drank some Countrytime Pink Lemonade made from powdered mix. He was a total polar opposite of he usual self. I finally realized, it was something in the drink. I found that out when he was around 4 or 5...He hasn't had it but one time since, at a friends house...I had already warned her not to ever give him any and she had forgotten. She told me she now understands exactly why he can't have it. It is the worst behavior change from food I have ever seen.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:08 AM on May. 17, 2010

• it's very common with autistic children. tell your daycare provider to do some research and take her job seriously!

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 9:30 AM on May. 17, 2010

• what does that mean she can't eat anything with red coloring in it?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:34 AM on May. 17, 2010

• i had a friend once that couldnt eat anything that had dyes in it ..she couldnt drink kool aid..i remember that much.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:36 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I have a reaction to blue (forget the number). My throat swells shut if I eat a blue snow cone. You aren't crazy, red 40 is a very common allergy.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:37 AM on May. 17, 2010

• More than likely your daughgter doesn't have a true allergy to the FD&C red #40, what she probably does have is an intolerance. A true allergy can be life-threatening, and includes hives, swelling & shock, an intolerance can create almost any kind of symptoms, it usually not an immediate reaction and the reaction is typically dosage-dependent, meaning you may be able to tolerate a small amount, but a larger amount creates symptoms for you.

My son is sensitive & intolerant to all kinds of artificial additives, including food dyes & flavorings, and he experiences similar reactions to your DD's. Over the years I've been able to determine his tolerance level and control how much he gets, so he doesn't have to be totally bereft of his favorite foods & treats.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on May. 17, 2010

• wow anon..were you watching chanel 5 news this morning?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:40 AM on May. 17, 2010