Comments about my small size

I am a very small girl, always have been. Born 4lbs 6oz ON my due date and today I am 5'5 and weigh 102. I used to hate my size but now that i'm in my mid twenties I have come to just accept the fact that I can't put on weight. But it drives me crazy when complete strangers, OR even people i've know for a long time make comments about it. Yesterday we ate at iHop for breakfast and I ordered the "Big Country" breakfast and the waitress asked me "Are you sure about that? The steak is about as big as you are." I was so irritated. Why do people assume that because I am small I can't eat like a normal person? My mother in law is the worst. I got sick a while back and she kept making comments about how I need to get better because I can't afford to lose any weight. I've been with her son for 7 years.. I was small 7 years ago, 3 months ago, and guess what? STILL SMALL... So get over it!!!! Anyone else have issues like this?

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 9:42 AM on May. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have the same problem. Im 5'7" and weigh 115. I eat A LOT lol but Ive always been really thin and would looooove to gain some weight! Even when I was pregnant with my son I only managed to gain 24 lbs and lost every pound as soon as I had him, I was hoping to keep some but nooo of course not. Atleast im lucky to have hips and boobs, but im so sick of having nooooo butt and chicken legs! Im ambaressed to even wear shorts or anything that shows off my legs cuz my legs look so thin lol Anyways so I know how you feel about the uncalled for comments. Everyone knows its rude to call an overweight person fat, so I dont see how they can think its ok to call un underwieght person a twig.
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 6:11 PM on May. 17, 2010

• We live in a culture where it is okay to insult someone for being tiny or thin, but if an obese person were to order the Big Breakfast and the waitress said, "You don't need a 2000 calorie breakfast as big as you are," then everyone would be up in arms.

And people post about rude comments to thin people often. And often some anon will say "Quit bragging that you are skinny."

My siblings and I are thin and very tall. Some of our family is very obese. Serious issues at family functions when people don't know to talk nice.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:49 AM on May. 17, 2010

• my dh has had these issues most of his life. to call him skinny is one of the worst things anyone can say to him! you are not alone!
    i think we all have our own issues
    but good for you for coming to terms with your own!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:10 AM on May. 17, 2010

• LOL no boobs, no butt, no curves is right!!! i look like a 12 yr old boy sometimes!! good thing i have long hair and carry a purse... well that probably doesn't mean much these days!!!!!!!!! LOL 

well i did go out and buy some boobs!! and i LOVE them!! 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on May. 17, 2010

• My MIL had a friend who is barely 5ft and 100 pounds. I know she didn't like people to discuss her size. Me being a big girl I know how it feels to be judged by size so I don't say anything. But people can be so cruel, no matter the situation. And I despise servers who feel they have to comment on your order! Lol
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:13 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Yes, I totally get it. I am about 5 feet tall and weigh about 95 lbs. You're not going to get much sympathy from women who are not in your exact position though.

I find it insulting that people feel free to make comments about my body just because it's small. What makes me the most angry is when people tell me I look like a child. My MIL, like yours, is one of the biggest offenders. She means well, but she always says things to me like "Oh here comes the 13 year old baby sitter!" when she sees me with my son, or if I have a job interview she'll say "Just try to look like an adult." I am 30 YEARS OLD!!! I dress like an adult, I shop at Ann Taylor - not Hollister - I am just petite. It's infuriating.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:54 AM on May. 17, 2010

• ok hon im 5'3 and 160 ill take yours over mine any day
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on May. 17, 2010

• ..and I can say the same for your size. I am not saying that your problem is any better/worse than mine.. just saying that skinny women have insecurities as well. Or atleast the ones who dont want to be skinny
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:49 AM on May. 17, 2010

• 5'2" and 165lbs

I'll happily trade with you as well!!!! I used to get the same comments before my 3 kids. I was barely 100 lbs soaking wet! I MISS THAT SO MUCH!! I would MUCH rather be told how little I am then hear how I have gotten "too fat"

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on May. 17, 2010

• "Quit bragging that you are skinny."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on May. 17, 2010