What questions do I ask a potential babysitter?

My daughter is almost 6 and we've never had a babysitter for her. It's time that we had some grown up time so I've found a girl that sounds great....she's 15, has done the babysitter course, knows CPR, volunteers with the special olympics ect...She's coming over tomorrow night to meet us all and I know a few things to ask but wanted to check with all of you just incase I'm missing something.
Thanks a bunch.

drpepper73

Asked by drpepper73 at 9:59 AM on May. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• i think the most important thing is that you know what you expect from her. do you want her to invite friends over? is it ok if she talks or texts? are these things ok once your child is in bed for the night? do you expect the house to be clean when you return? do you expect her to feed your daughter dinner...cook it and clean up too?
    it sounds like you already have the basics covered, i just feel like covering these little issues before hand can make other things go smoothly!
    for me personally, it is more important that my children enjoy their time with their babysitters, so i try to be sure i don't put too many rules on the babysitter regarding schedules and such...especially if the sitter will be a once in a while thing.

ENJOY you time with your dh!!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:05 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Are you on drugs? Do you have any felonies? Ever been convicted of child molestation charges? Do you smoke? Do you drink alcohol? Assault charges on a child? After that, lay down the rules. NONE OF THE ABOVE IS TOLERATED!!!!!!!!!
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 10:23 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Oh yeah forgot this one. No sex in my house with your boyfriend. I know I sound harsh, but I work with teens 7 hours a day, and i know what they do when they babysit.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 10:25 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Do you smoke, if so where and how often?
    Do you have a criminal background, is so, what have you been convicted of?
    Make sure to check the registered Sex offender list to ensure they're not a sex offender.
    Do you drink alcohol during the day, if so how much?
    Will you be caring for any other children other then mine?
    Ask her a couple of hypothetical situation questions. Like .. "If my child were to throw a tantrum how would you handle that?" "If my child were to hurt themselves and needed medical attention would you call 911 and wait for help, or drive them to the hospital yourself?" If my child was misbehaving how would you handle that?"
    Also make sure to ask for references. Have them give you a quick overview of previous experiences while babysitting. Like stories they'd like to share.
    Then share your child's schedule, the rules of the house, and the rules your child has to follow.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:28 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I agree with happy2bmom25..... I would be sure that the babysitter knows all of my expectations, then I would conduct a background check. You can never be too careful.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:56 AM on May. 17, 2010

• OH! I would probably make sure that she is CPR and First Aid certified as well. I keep a phone list on the fridge with mine/my DH's, all family, friends, poison control, and pediatrician's #'s in case of an emergency and I make it very clear that the sitter is to call someone for ANY emergency; even if she is uncertain if the situation is an actual emergency.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:02 AM on May. 17, 2010