• In the Spotlight:

toddler help

my daughter is 18 months old and she got into this nasty habit of hitting mommy, and i have tried putting her in time out, she just gets back up and i put her back and then she starts to take it as a game! i have tried tapping her hand and telling her no its not nice to hit mommy and i have tried ignoring her thinking maybe she would stop, but she don't...I refuse to spank my child as i no what it is like and vowed never to spank my child..do anybody else have any ideas what i could do to get her to stop hitting me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on May. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I just hold my toddlers hands down when she lashes out,and I look her in the eye and tell her hitting hurts mommy and its not nice..NO hitting.
    If it continues after that (which this hasnt happened for me YET,lol) I would put her in a time out that she can't get out of,like strapped in a highchair or excersaucer or something.
    Over time and consistancy and she will stop.
    Good Luck. :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:17 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Well it can be embarrsing bc my son does the same. AND I do whip my son, but when i have spanked him for that he thinks im playing. Im not sure what the answer for this could be. Not sure if its something that they have to grow out of this or what!???
    deverrick

Answer by deverrick at 10:03 AM on May. 17, 2010

• First of all, a child is going to try in turn time out into a game. They're going to get up and they're going to try and get you to give in. That's why it's important to keep putting them back. Without saying anything to them, because the more you say the more they can hear the frustration in your voice. Which only provokes them more. Don't give in with time out, she's going to test you that is what toddlers do. If you're not consistant with a punishment, then you're going to have a child who isn't going to listen. It's natural for children to push their bounderies and test their limits, but you have to stand your ground. Be consistant and follow through. Never give empty threats.

Smacking her hand and telling her not to hit is only sending her a mixed message. Hitting her to punish her for hitting is only enforcing her to hit when she doesn't want/like something. Don't give up, keep up with the time outs. She'll get it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:24 AM on May. 17, 2010

• This is a tough situation momma... I would advise to simply remain consistant. Don't give up on the time-outs. For my DD, we have a secluded T.O. spot where she has NO access to toys, can't view the t.v., and can't really hear much going on around the house; so in essence, a VERY boring spot :-) She really dislikes it. Anyway, I would continue to put her in the T.O. and in a very firm voice say, "You will sit in your time out. You do not hit" It will be exhausting for you, but over time, she will tire of it and eventually perceive the time out as a consequence, not a game. I think its important to establish T.O. rules as well. My DD knows that she must sit quietly in her T.O. It took FOREVER to reinforce this and get her to follow the rules, but I persisted and now she sits quietly (most of the time). Consistency is key..... no free passes or the kiddo might end up confused and defiant. GL!!!!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:24 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I do what kimberlyinberea does! I hold my sons little hands, look him in the eyes at his level and sternly say "no hitting." He usually stops. This often happens when trying to put him in his carseat in a parking lot, so time out doesn't work for the immediate timing. And yes, at home, it's the above "no hitting" and a time out for about a minute since he's 19 months. Sometimes, I have to sit him in my lap in the corner so he won't get up. (Sitting in my lap doesn't make it anymore fun... for either of us.. time out is like torture for him!)
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 12:33 PM on May. 17, 2010