• In the Spotlight:

Californians could go to jail if their kids skip school?

Just passed in the Senate in California is a bill, if signed into law that will make truant childrens parents responsible and punishable by a fine and /or jail.
Yes we need to make our kids go to school. It is a law. But fining a parent $2000 or even sending them to jail?
Most of us have good kids but there are plenty of kids who hate school and are habitual skippers. A parent could drive their kid to school and see them walk in the door and if they wanted to skip the parent has no control. I'm not totally against some kind of fine for habitual truancies but $2000 and should they go to jail?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 10:15 AM on May. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• That has always been the law here in Georgia!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on May. 17, 2010

• In Florida it is already like that. IMO its a step in the right direction. because neglecting your child enough to whre you could care less if they go to school is a form of child neglect and needs to be taken very esriously. Im surprised they are just NOW getting this law out there ! Read it carefully tho because like here in florida, one the kid is 16 and they dont go to school that a reflectio on the child and not the parent. a praent swouldnt get in trouble past age 16 i believe.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 10:19 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Its always been that way in California....I would know because I was ALWAYS truant.But I didnt live with my parents So no one got in trouble ;)
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:20 AM on May. 17, 2010

• We have that law too. I think it is mainly for the parents who just allow their kids to sit at home.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:20 AM on May. 17, 2010

• That is nothing new. Even when I was in school there were truancy laws.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Yeah it's been like that as long as I can remember and I'm in my mid-30's...if it wasn't a law before my Mom made me believe it was! lol
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 10:32 AM on May. 17, 2010

• ryanlynn- It hasn't been passed do it isn't yet a law in Cali. Of course kids have to go to school a certain number of days per year. but it isn't yet a law. Unless your parents gave up their rights to being your parents it doesn't matter who you lived with. They would still be responsible. If you had legal gaurdians then they were responsible. Nothing was done because there was no law then. New law- A bill moving through California’s legislature would make truancy a criminal offense — for parents.
    There are truancy laws in most if not all states but how many include parents going to jail for a year?
    ANON 9:18-Georgia has had a law with a fine of $50 and 48 hrs in jail. The Cali law will be $2000 and 1 yr in jail.

I agree pusnishment is in order. A small fine for the parents and punisment for the kid. I think if you started with community service in Elem. school you might just get it through their heads.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:44 AM on May. 17, 2010

• It has been the same in MN. Truancy is bad. Kids skipping school is not the norm. ANd its not"just being a kid" to skip school. I never did. My kids never did...not even on Senior Skip Day. LOL. I think it is every parent's job to keep their kids in school, to raise them to be responsible and mature. If they don't try, they will be raising losers.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:54 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I think Utah has a similiar law. This is one of the reasons why I am considering homeschooling.
    onthegoturbo

Answer by onthegoturbo at 10:56 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Yep, we have that law in OH as well. It seems, on the surface, to be a good idea. But when you look at reality, it is flawed. The ones in elementary grades don't skip for no reason. I think that a different approach would be more effective. And then, for the middle school & high school kids, well, it is hard to keep them in school if they do NOT want to be there. Again, I feel there are more effective methods to deal with it. Of course, our school district calls the home if a student is absent, so parents are aware if the child went to school, BUT. if the kid stays for home room, and THEN skips, well, the parent doesn't get notified.
    While I agree with the motivation, I don't like the implementation of this.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:17 AM on May. 17, 2010