Anyone here a hair stylist that is good with color?

I colored my hair at home yesterday and I've done it before but this time I used a brand from Sally's Beauty Supply. I put the color on my roots for 20 minutes and then pulled it through to my ends. Well I think it was a combination of not enough color and not leaving it on the ends long enough because my roots red and my ends are brown. What should I do? Re-color the ends? I don't want them to turn green. Please help.

Wendums71

Asked by Wendums71 at 10:15 AM on May. 17, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• What is your natural color and what color are you trying to achieve?
    A typical problem for coloring hair red is for the root area to come up too "hot" or bright and/or the ends turn dull and brown. The brighter roots are generally the result of body heat which distorts the end result. The duller ends are the result of excess porosity in the hair. The hair shaft simply can not hold on to the red pigments.
    If you try re-coloring the ends the color may not take or you will cause more damage to your hair.
    I work in a salon and the number 1 correction we see is for botched hair color.
    You will probably need a professional to correct it. Also, don't be surprised if it is recommended to cut the ends - many times they cannot be repaired. Sorry.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 10:31 AM on May. 17, 2010

• My natural color is medium brown but I have been coloring it red for a while now, definitely over a year. I of course can't remember the name of the color I used. My hair is pretty healthy but I am afraid it won't be for very long.
    Wendums71

Answer by Wendums71 at 10:53 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Using another hair color will not work. In fact, coloring already treated hair may drive the previous pigment further into your hair, making it difficult for even a professional to remove. Coloring hair will only lighten your natural color. You may leave the ends fade out naturally, or talk with a professional about what options you have.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 11:14 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I am a hairstylist and I will say athough Sally's has professional products unless you are a professional buying the stuff can be very difficult. Just because it says red doesnt mean that is how your hair is going to turn out. Its a tricky formula. I don't reccomend walmart haircolor typically, but if your determined to do it yourself the easiest way is to just go to walmart and find the color you like and put it on. Who told you to leave it on your new growth (roots) longer then the rest? Im asking because your new growth will actually change faster being that its generally virgin hair and its closer to the scalp which generates more heat. In your case I actually would have applied it to your ends first then your new growth. were your ends not already red? You said youve had it red many times before? Depending on the shade of red your going for your hair may need to be lifted first. Feel free to message me.
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 11:39 AM on May. 17, 2010