do you separate your money or combine it??

just wondering how many people have "my money" & "your money" and split the bills
in my house it is all the same money and all the same bills!! our money pays for our bills ....
but in my first marriage i wish i had "my money" because when i left i had 'no money'

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on May. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• ours is "our money"..joint savings and checking
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:22 AM on May. 17, 2010

• my dh pays all the bills and i have "my money" but i do give him some of my money to help out every now and then. I usually give him 100 dollars a week. I buy the groceries.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:24 AM on May. 17, 2010

• ..i also stash money so if something were to come up i can give it to him.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:27 AM on May. 17, 2010

• It used to be 'our' money, until he decided that he was going to start blowing every extra dollar that we had (I make more than he does and that caused insecurity issues as well). We split it after that and he always complained that he was broke and I was loaded but it was his fault that we split it up in the first place.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:27 AM on May. 17, 2010

• We have separate accounts, but both are authorized signers for the others account. I pay certain bills, and he pays certain bills; at times we transfer funds from one account to the other depending on how the bills fall in a certain month. We both work and bring home similar pay - i cover daycare and he covers the mortgage.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on May. 17, 2010

• We have separate accounts at the moment, mainly b/c he is a truck driver. He needs access to money while on the road, and I need to know how much money I have to pay the bills and such with, without having to ask him to account for every penny he might be spending. This way, he transfers the money to my account to pay the bills, and he still has access to money. He doesn't hide or deprive me in any way of money, and I don't hide or deprive him either. It's just easier than making him keep a running tally at all times of what he's spent. He can total it up for me, if needed, and keeps track anyway, but this way he's never put on the spot b/c I need to know *right now* to pay a bill, and he's got to try to hurry up and calculate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I am a SAHM so he brings in the money. When we got married and before kids, I had a job and brought home money also. We do have separate checking accounts, but they are both joint. One lists me then him, the other lists him then me. He always paid the bills and my income went to our 'fun and entertainment' fund. Now we still have the separate accounts, but we pull from the same money pool.
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 10:35 AM on May. 17, 2010

• We have separate accounts. My husband doesn't like to write down checks in his register since he can look it up online and always has a "feel" for how much money is in his account. I, on the other hand, write down every check and deposit and keep a running tally of my balance. It stresses him to keep track that closely and it stresses me to not know exactly what's in my account. We had joint at one time, but our styles just didn't mix well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on May. 17, 2010

• My hubs and I decided when we got married (19yr ago) we would keep separate accounts. We both work full time, and we split the bills. He certain bills he pays, I have bills I pay. If one of us is short we do 'share' money with each other or pay a bill for each other. I KNOW that if we would have had a shared account it would have created a lot of problems, stress and arguments for us-- as we have different banking styles. he 'guesstimates' on what he has, he sometimes forgets to write in a transaction or forgets where he put his sales slips, he uses his debit (bank) card for everything.... I am the opposite I write in everything asap, keep track of sales slips and I know to the penny what I have.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I'm a SAHM and we have a joint account. It's "our money". Before we had kids and I was working full time, we still had a joint account.It's always been "our money".
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:02 PM on May. 17, 2010