Co-Sleeping

Who has done it? Did you hvae trouble getting your baby to sleep on their own later?

AngelOnBoard

Asked by AngelOnBoard at 10:25 AM on May. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i was co sleeping with my oldest for a little while and later on he didn't want to sleep with me anymore so i went in search for a crib, it worked out pretty well. i'm co sleeping with my daughter now and she won't go to sleep any other way. I was hoping she'd want to sleep in her own crib like her brother did, but it didn't work out that way. But i'm confident that she'll want to when she gets a little older. each kid is different. I just think it's important for all of us to get some sleep rather than forcing a kid to do what you want and neither of you get any sleep at all lol. I've tried it all for her but we always end up back to cosleeping.
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 10:29 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I did it with all three of my babies and had no trouble at all getting to to sleep independently. I feel they had more confidence sleeping on their own after co-sleeping.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:34 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I did it until my son was 5..because we had no choice. Well, no choice but, to keep on doing it until 5..I still recommend co-sleeping. He moved out of the bed at 5 no issues. Had sleepovers at friends houses with no issues. I know kids that slept alone since birth that can't do that. He went on a week long camping trip with Boy Scouts no issue. Sleeping with me that long had no real effect on him as far as making him super dependent on me or unable to move out of my bed. In fact, I think he is more independent than most kids I know.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:53 AM on May. 17, 2010

• my first son slept with us for 6 months, he started sleeping horizontally between us and taking up far too much room, so he went to his own room and bed with no problems. my second son stayed with us until he was at least two. he was coming in to our room in the middle of the night until he was about 2 1/2. my #3 and #4 were twins. they took turns sleeping with me and in the crib right next to the bed. they were in their own room by 15 months. i started their transition at nap time at about 12 months. the nap in the beds was hard, but sleeping at night was easy.
    i breast fed, and i found that sleep was hardly interrupted with a single baby and co sleeping.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:12 AM on May. 17, 2010

• We did it until my son was 4. Then we got bunk beds and he moved out happily into his brothers room. He helped me pick out the bedding and what toys he wanted on his bed. I'm sure we could have got him out sooner, but he is our baby and we loved having him in with us. It worked out perfectly for us. I work full time, so I loved having the extra time with him during the night. He slept right in between us.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:24 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I don't recommend it. It is not good for your relationship with hubby or for teaching your baby to self soothe and be a little independent.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:25 AM on May. 17, 2010

• A baby does not need to self soothe or be independent. They cry because they need someone dependable there to comfort them and be there for them. They have PLENTY of time to be grown-ups and learn grown -up skills.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:33 AM on May. 17, 2010

• "I don't recommend it. It is not good for your relationship with hubby or for teaching your baby to self soothe and be a little independent. "

It doesn't hurt the relationship with the hubby if you are creative, why do babies need to be independent? As to self soothing, it's like a milestone, when the baby is ready they figure it out.

I have co-slept with all 8 of mine to some extent, almost all was in their own beds by 2, my choice so I never tried earlier, 2 were in their own beds around a year cause that made them more comfortable. My oldest is almost 19 so in all of those years it has not hurt mine or my hubby's relationship, I hate hearing that one.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:35 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I have. DD, my oldest, only slept with us some of the time. At 4, she's a HORRIBLE sleeper. DS is 2, 3 in Aug, and co slept until right around 2 yrs old. He now sleeps in his crib, and most nights, sleeps all night long. I don't think co sleeping or lack of has much to do with sleeping habits once they're older, at least not in my experience.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:41 PM on May. 17, 2010

• We co slept and it was about 2 weeks and he was in his own bed and fine.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 12:51 PM on May. 17, 2010