Potty Training Question

Did you ever have trouble with your child not understanding that poop doesn't come out of the same place that pee does? And if so, how did you explain that?
My son is almost 2 & 1/2 and we've been working on potty training. He does pretty good with going pee in the potty. He's able to tell us when he needs to & even goes in & does it by himself. But up until today, he hasn't wanted to go poop in the potty. He's always just asked for a diaper. Today, he went in all on his own & tried to go but was having trouble. He would tell us to leave & then a few minutes later he would call us back in & kept pulling at his penis saying "Out poop! Come out!" It was really cute, but the poor baby was so upset! We tried explaining that the poop doesn't come out of there, but all he did was cry. And he didn't want to give up! Finally, we told him how proud we were that he tried, but he needed to take a break and try again later. Any advice??

Megs5384

Asked by Megs5384 at 10:27 AM on May. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• lol my son thought the same way too. he still does, i guess they're just not ready to understand that sort of thing. I got one of those seats that you put on top of the toilet and have him sit on it whether he's peeing or pooping. We taught him later on that you pee standing up and poop sitting down. but he wasn't able to see his penis when he's sitting down so he doesn't see pee coming out or poop coming out. Another good trick is to just give them something to do in the mean while. My son colored while he was sitting on the potty because it did take a while to poop. I don 't know, just a couple of tips GL though. :-)
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 10:33 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Once Upon A Potty for Him DVD has a naked cartoon boy showing all his body parts, and he bends over to show his hole for pooping.

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 11:08 AM on May. 17, 2010