Herbal Medications while breastfeeding

I was wondering if there are any holistic or herbal medications that is safe to take while breastfeeding, for depression. My husband and I are in a tough living situation right now, and I have been really fighting depression. I am looking for something temporary to take until we get in a better situation, as I am pretty sure that this is why I am so depressed. I would rather take something natural than a prescription. What is safe to take while breastfeeding? Does anyone know if Sam-e is safe? I know St.John's wort you can't take with birth control, which I am about to start taking again.
I appretiate the help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on May. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Whatever you take will go in your breast milk,,, I don't think you should take St. Johns Wort while breastfeeding,, call your doc and see if they can perscribe something that is safe to take while breastfeeding,, esp. if you get a generic version, it would actually be cheaper than st. johns,, good luck momma and hope you feel better!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:48 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Thank you. The problem is I am applying for health insurance right now, and I am already worried about my other pre-existing conditions. I have had depression before, but it has been so long since I was prescribed anything, that I was told it shouldn't be a problem. I guess I was looking for something herbal because I'm scared of being rejected by my health insurance. I definatly don't want to take anything unsafe for my baby, so I'm thinking that if I can't get anything herbal or over the counter, I just won't take anything at all. I will just have to continue dealing with the situation the best I can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on May. 17, 2010

• well generics at Wal mart are about $10--so if you can get the script you should be oka,, so sorry your sad!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:15 AM on May. 17, 2010

• u can check herbal stuff for safety on kellymom.com
    also look up depression on their and u can find natural helps

for me the trick was a high grade fish oil supplement. I take 3 tsp a day(triple the rec dossage). After taking it a few wks it kicks in just like the meds do. With my 3rd child I discovered this durring pregnancy and it made a world of a difference!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I was also going to suggest a fish oil supplement. I've heard that can help.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:37 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Therapy

Answer by rkoloms at 5:24 PM on May. 17, 2010