Soy milk for a one year old?

I posted this question once already, but it was night so I wanted to see if i can get more input on this question. my dd was always lactose intolerant and was put on soy formula since birth, but than was switched to regular formula. she's just recently turned 1 and i gave her some whole milk and it proved to me that she was still lactose intolerant. But now i want to know, is it okay to give her soy milk? I'm hearing a lot of bad stuff about it now and am a little apprehensive about giving it to her.

khmymommi

Asked by khmymommi at 10:39 AM on May. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My hubby and my DD who is 3 are both lactose intolerant. She seems to be better but we tried whole milk after she turned 1 and she would have problems. Now she is 3 and we have been giving her silk milk ever since. My pedi. told me oh silk milk has a lot of calories but it works and is a alternative. My DD now eats pizza,ice cream,cheese with no prob but I am sticking with silk milk for her. Try the plain milk or even the choc. milk- You don't have to give it to her around the clock maybe a few times a day maybe @ meals and she will be just fine! Good luck! :)
    MayMommy07

Answer by MayMommy07 at 10:50 AM on May. 17, 2010

• You can, but, you can also give her rice milk and almond milk. Technically, she needs no milk at all. As long as she eats a little cheese, yogurt and green leafy vegetables, she will get all the calcium and vitamin D she needs. She can drink water. Kids don't even need juice, the whole fruit is better. Give her a vitamin and there will be even less to worry about. If her body can't take regular milk even in other foods.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:44 AM on May. 17, 2010

• you don't need any substitute milks. water is fine. my kids all went from breast milk to water. if we do juice it is a treat and it is watered down. for vitamin d, we get sunshine and for calcium we eat green veggies.for good fats we take fish oil,and eat nuts and fish. if you are going to do a milk substitute, really look into it...some of the soy on the market is not good (or so i have read) some of the milk subs have a lot of sugar. do your research and read your ingredients.
    some sources say that all humans are lactose intolerant...some sources are indicating that this is changing, our bodies are adapting, i am just not sure if that is a good thing.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:18 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Just give her water. Foods like avocado, tofu and sunflower seed butter for healthy fats. Dark, leafy greens for calcium.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:26 PM on May. 17, 2010