Am I wrong, I have a doctors note?

I went into the emergency room a few days ago. I damaged my nerves in my arm and was in extreme pain. I was sent home with a doctors note that said I am not to return to work until this wed the 19th. I called my work right away and told them. The owner said to call in a few days to see if I was feeling better to work. I was scheduled to work the weekend (sat and sun.) I called Friday and spoke to another manager and said I was still in extreme pain and could not work but had a doctors appointment on Monday morning. Today, this morning I am feeling much better. I cancelled my app. even though I am a little concerned it was not a good idea. I then called my work to get my schedule since my dr. note says I can start wed. The owner said I worked this morning. When i told him I had no sitter he angrily said it was my responsiblity to call the manager who does the schedule, I was never instructed so. Who is right?

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 10:41 AM on May. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• if your note said you cant work till wed stick with that. it is the only way you are covered. tell him according to the doc you cannot work until wednesday. that you dont want to reinjure the arm and you want it to heal so you dont miss more work later on. you are in the right but it might reflect badly that you didnt go to the follow up appt.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:18 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I would try to get your doc's appointment back,,,, depending on how many employee's your company has they can't fire you with the note,,,If you told them you couldn't work until the 19th why did they schedule you? I would go to the doctors and get the note!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:45 AM on May. 17, 2010

• i think if you have a doctors note saying you are excused then you are in the clear...but you still shouldve called your boss that morning just to remind them that you werent going to be there so they would have someone to replace you if needed.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:00 AM on May. 17, 2010

• should of done the follow up. my husband got fired with an ER note and then didnt get the follow up to get a release or to extend time off.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 12:27 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Definitely reschedule the followup appointment.

The only thing I can offer, unfortunately, won't help you right now. An HR reference: When you receive a note saying that you can't return to work, you need to physically take the note to your employer (or have it faxed) and make sure they have a copy on file rather than just calling and telling them that you can't come in. Otherwise, they have nothing but your word saying that you can't work. Without a copy of the note in their possession they can claim ignorance about the medical excuse altogether and say you never notified them. I would just keep this in mind for future reference.

If your boss was understanding about your predicament he should have communicated that to the scheduling manager. That shouldn't be on you but I don't know how your company works and I don't think there are really any laws that will protect you out here.
    Anonymous