Expanding my cake business?

I am starting a cake decorating/baked goods business out of my home and I wanted to know how to go about getting customers and expanding my business. I really could use some help with this. Thanks for any help!

mommyjones

Asked by mommyjones at 10:53 AM on May. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• an ad in the newspaper is always a good idea with a new business. you can also see if you can contact your local news team and see if they give interviews for up and coming businesses. my MIL caters and what she does is just pass out fliers at the events she caters, so maybe include some fliers with the cake that you are delivering so the customer can give them out to their friends and family.
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 10:54 AM on May. 17, 2010

• make a portfolio so that anyone who is curious can see the kind of work you do..also a small add in the paper is a good idea. Maybe you could advertise on craigslist and other sites as well
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:56 AM on May. 17, 2010

• A small ad in your local paper. Even a announcement. If you can try to give one to a needy Event with your card and hopefully its so Great whomever tries it will want to order one! I Loved buying from people out of their home when I couldn't bake one myself. I care about small business and people trying to start out on their own. I wish you the best of Luck!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 12:37 PM on May. 17, 2010

• The health dept doesnt allow you to sell baked goods from your home as a business. You have to use a professional kitchen. For advertising go to www.vistaprint.com design postcards with photos of your cakes and your information. Go places where people hold birthday parties and leave them out. Leave them on bulletin boards and even mail them out. They're inexpensive and a great tool.
    Anonymous

• You need to start with a sanitation license and get your kitchen certified as a commercial kitchen (it is probably easier and less expensive to rent one by the hour)

Answer by rkoloms at 5:19 PM on May. 17, 2010

• You are correct above poster, you can not sell food products out of your home legally. In the state of CA all perishables must be kept in storage at a licensed commissary. Good Luck
    Anonymous