There was a pice of paper in the middle of the road of a busy street and my brother had to save it because the cars were trying to run it over.

Yes, you read that right. My brother is a bipolar schizophrenic and this was what happend this past Friday.He ran into the middle of a busy street determined to save a pice of paper...which had nothing to do with him,by the way. It was just a piece of litter in the middle of the street.Later that day,he was standing in the middle of the street in front of his house yelling and cussing, for no apparent reason.Then,he followed my moms bfriend to the backyard,accused him of beating the dog and screwing his gfriend which btw,my brother does not even have a gfriend).My brother punched him in the back of the head 3 times.He sold all his meds.He is 23 years old.Has anyone else experienced a schizophrenic in the family? How do you and your family deal with this? Its sad.Were scared for him.Were scared for us, were scared for people he may come across..what if he hurts someone or someone hurts him?What more can we do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on May. 17, 2010 in Health

• I'm sorry, I deleted my answer because it came across as harsh. I deal with this also in my family. Shay, you really should just distance yourself because you have no idea how to take care of this type of situation.
    OP please update us on how this goes. I am looking for resources also. Thanks
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 12:48 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I have not dealt with this particular situation, but I did have a bipolar uncle. I also had a grandmother who had Alzhiemer's. I do think, often, people with any type of mental illness or decline in function like this, it can be very difficult for the family to be responsible and take care of them. Sometimes, the best thing to do is to find some type of home health nurse or a facility designed to care for people with these kinds of issues, staffed with people trained not only to recognize the symptoms, but to appropriately manage and, when necessary, medicate them. Have you (your family) considered anything like this? Based on what you described here, it sounds to me like it may be necessary. We had to put my grandmother in a nursing home, I was in high school, my parents both had to work, we just couldn't be there during the day, and she would be dangerous to herself. It happens sometimes.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:02 AM on May. 17, 2010

• why didnt you call the cops and have him locked up...sorry but people like this do not belong in society
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:03 AM on May. 17, 2010

• My mom did call the cops, and he has ben in jail all weekend. We've been trying to get him more help for the past 3 years.He's been in and out of hospitals and they just release him..on his own with a new prescription.It does no good to give him medication because the doctors actaully expect him to handle it on his own, but he sells it.He thinks its a conspiracy and everyone is trying to poison him. We all have spent many hours on the phone trying to get him some kind of help that is more fitting to his needs. But its like, they won't do anything...untili its too late. We are hoping that now that this incident has proven violence to it that they will take him and put him in a group home or something. But my dad just called me, the police just released him..on his own this morning. So he's walking home,in the rain from the jail...still with no meds.Can you believe they even released him?Its a crazy messed up situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on May. 17, 2010

• My sister has schizophrenia. She has good days and bad days. Luckly she has never become violent but I can understand your frustration and concern. She will become catatonic at times and she will just sit there and stare at things, wont say a word, but sometimes you can see her lips moving where I think she may be actually talking to the voices she hears. You can talk to her all you want but she wont pay attention, its like she is in her own little world. Then other times she gets really hyperactive where she talks a million miles an hour and will repeat herself all the time, and then when you do not understand what she is saying she will get mad at you. Her meds really help control her behavior. Why did your brother sell his medications? I think it would be best if he would take his meds along with psychotherapy. Good luck and my advice to you is to be patient.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on May. 17, 2010

• go and get a restraining order.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:21 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Real Nice shay1130, I hope you dont have any mental illnesses in your family. This lady came here for advice, not get ignorant ramblings from you
    GothicMama

Answer by GothicMama at 11:27 AM on May. 17, 2010

• My brother gets like that too, anon 20.He talks to himself,you can't hear or understand what the heck he is saying, but his lips moves and he'll laugh for no reason.Its very strange.But we know its all part of his mental disorder.
    Shay, I thankyou for your advice hun, but really...jail and restraining orders..thats not the way to go with a person with a disability. He lives upstairs from my mother. We can't keep him out of his house. We also can't make him live on the street.I'm making phone calls now to try to get some information on place he can go.My mom has decided to give him an ultimatum...either check himself in or she's going to prosecute.Thats the messed up thing..hospital won't take him unless a person checks themselves in? He's schizophenic...he think everyone...and I do mean EVERYONE is conspiring in some way against him.The system is just messed up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on May. 17, 2010

• actually yes i have lots of people with mental disorders in my family. my sister is the worst and as much as i hate saying it...at the moment she does not belong in society and she does not deserve her children...she does not have them right now, my mother does.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:35 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I do not have any in my family, but I dated a guy who's brother was this way. We were at the mall one day and he jumped into the water fountain in the middle of the mall to "wash away his sins". He is a grown man and refuses to take his meds and there really isn't much you can do in this situation if he is not willing to get help. It's very sad.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 11:36 AM on May. 17, 2010