What birth control is right for a 14 year old?

My 14 yr old came to me asking for birth cointrol.. While im dissapointed Im also realived that she came to me asking to get on birth control INSTEAD of comming to me telling me she pregnant! So whats the best for her? the pill, shot, patch? what about something like the mirena? Then she wouldnt have to worry about it at all untill AFTER highschool?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on May. 17, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I would go with the shot or and IUD like Mirena. Only because then she can't forget to take it. I would take her into the gyn and have them lay out the options for the 2 of you and together you can make the decision of what is best for her. I think it is great that you are going to help her get on BC because I started having sex at 14 and I ended up getting pregnant at 16. I've only had one partner in my entire life and I am married to him now. Im very very lucky though that he wasn't like most teens and didn't leave me to take care of our daughter myself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on May. 17, 2010

• IMO, you are giving her a free pass on having as much sex as she choses. Sorry. It is good that you have an open line of communication though and that she felt comfortable enough to ask you about it.

I would opt for the pill. the patch and Mirena are basically not reminding her of the consequences of having sex and the pill everyday is a great reminder that she can get pregnant.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:15 AM on May. 17, 2010

• If she wants to have sex she is going to regaurdless. Getting her birth control is NOT giving her a free pass. It is helping to ensure that she does not get pregnant. The doctor that gives her that form of birth control will let her know that it is not 100% effective. Atleast you are being active in keeping your daughter protected.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Not meant to be attacking so please don't take it that way

"Only because then she can't forget to take it."

So she is adult enough to have sex but not adult enough to have the responsibility of preventing pregnancy. I, as a parent, wouldn't like to make it as easy as possible for my child to have sex without consequences. Since when did sex become fun and games for a child to the point that a parent will make convienient for them to do so?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:19 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I would get her the pill and condoms to protect her from STD's.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:20 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I'd ask a gyn.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:21 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Jademom, That is just asking for her to get pregnant. I am an adult and I can barely remember to take the pill, which is why I choose other forms of bc. The way I see it, she will probably have sex either way and if it was my daughter I wouldn't want there to be a chance of her forgetting and ending up pregnant because it wouldn't just be her dealing with the consequences, it would probably be me as her mother too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I understand where you are coming from Anon. Just a different opinion is all. I play devils advocate a lot, LOL. For me, if my DD was at this stage, then it's the pill and she (and I) can deal with the consequences of her actions. She has to learn responsibility somehow. Even if it is in this way.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:27 AM on May. 17, 2010

• the forms you mentioned will not protect her from std's.
    the forms you mentioned are really not harmless.
    personally i think girls going on chemical birth control at such young ages contributes to the infertility that we are seeing today. chemically you are telling your body...don't get pregnant for 10, 15 and 20 years. then when you feel you are ready...your body doesn't seem to know what to do.
    there are also links between breast cancer and hormone replacement therapies...what is the difference between hormone replacement therapies and birth control?
    chemical forms of birth control for such a young person is imo, a huge risk.
    i would talk to her about love and commitment first, and have her father do the same. make sure she knows her father loves her and has better expectations of her.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:29 AM on May. 17, 2010

• i think its a good thing that she asked for birth control, and a good thing that you are being supportive and open minded.
    i think you should make her an appointment with an OBGYN and talk to them about what would be best.
    i would also talk to her about condoms too for protection from STD's, but still get the birth control just incase.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:38 AM on May. 17, 2010