Anyone try rice cereal in formula to help reflux?

i read an article that you can add a little bit of rice cereal to a bottle to help with reflux...anyone try this?

mommytobrooke

Asked by mommytobrooke at 11:21 AM on May. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, and I did. Just make sure that you don't add so much that it thickens up making it hard to get thru a nipple as it can cause ear problems. Has your baby been diagnosed with reflux? Don't do this unless you know that they have it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:22 AM on May. 17, 2010

• No, it is not a good idea unless you are feeding solids. It can lead to choking & other issues. My son had reflux and we were advised to NEVER do that. I just burped him often and expected it to come back up!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:24 AM on May. 17, 2010

• yea and baby wont choke cause the formula basically dissolves the cereal. if you believe it will help then follow your instincts. just mix a teaspoon and let the cereal get soggy and you'll need a fast flow nipple on the bottle
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I think it depends on the age. We didn't start that til my son was 3 months. It was still young, but it wasn't a newborn, kwim? ANd yes it can help b/c it it does is it helps to anchor the food down in the tummy to keep it from being so easy to come back up. Sometimes reflux will begin to go away when starting solids. It did for my son but only for a bit, but he has GERD (reflux disease) not just reflux.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 11:42 AM on May. 17, 2010

• We started it also, and it does help. But we got the OK from his PED before we did anything. He's almost 3 months. He's not going to choke-it's not like you're shoving hot dogs down his throat ya know. It's basically just like thicker formula, you can't really tell there's anything in it.
    MrsDex

Answer by MrsDex at 11:57 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I never did this, but I understand it's a common recommendation. I'm sure it DOES work for some, but I've read that it's not as effective as once thought. OP, are you doing anything else, meds, etc? What's the LO's diet? How severe is the reflux? (just asking these questions in case I might have any ideas for you)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:37 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Yes, and trust me it helps, you can also try similac sensitivity RS they add a little bit of rice to it to help, we had to do that with my daughter, i wanted to control it with diet before trying to place her on medications like so many people suggested to me
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 12:42 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Not unless it is diagnosed severe reflux and nothing else works and the baby is not thriving and it has been prescribed as a last resort. By spoon never ever ever by bottle First try: feeding less more often so the stomach isn't overfull, change to a better nipple and bottle as close to breast as possible, feed baby in a more upright position so gravity doesn't make milk flow too fast, burp often, do not lay baby flat after a feed, if it persists change to a gentle formula or relactate.

Putting ceral in a bottle can clog the nipple, making the baby suck hard, then it suddenly unclogs and baby chokes. Do not put cereal in a bottle.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:47 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Enfamil AR!!! It has the added rice starch without the extra calories of rice cereal. It is milk based, so if your little one can't tolerate milk (like mine), it won't work. My son had reflux and was on Zantac, then Prevacid. GERD-medicine free by 15 months; the projectile-spit up subsided around 6 months. Good luck!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 1:17 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Thanks everyone! To answer some questions....my son is 6 weeks old..currently on Enfamil Gentlease formula..we tried everything expect for Enfamil AR. He has been diagnosed with reflux..currently taking Zantac..not sure its really helping out that much. He is always in the upright position for 30 + min after eating ( that still doens't seem to help him) , mattress is propped up as well.

Just looking for something else that can help him...all he does is scream and its killing me! He spits up a good portion of each feedings and when I read about the rice cereal thought it might just help! Wanted others opinions- so thanks!!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 3:32 PM on May. 17, 2010