What do you do if your neighbor accussed you of stealing her lawn mower?

I live in a twinhome. My neighbor is a single woman who spends alot of time drinking and doing drugs.
This is our 4th summer as neighbors and all these years have had a walk behind mower and she has a ride on. Yesterday my husband mowed our lawn while she was cleaning her car. Her starts small talk with her and she blows up saying her dad bought her a mower just like ours and it was stolen and that's why she had to buy a new mower (the ride on). She insisted our mower was the one that was stolen...she was going to get her dad come over and prove it was the one he bought for her several years ago. My husband did a good job at keeping his cool. The last thing he would ever do is steal anything! and if he was a thief he wouldn't steal a mower from the next door and keep it at our place then use it in front of her. The truth is before her ride on she hired a guy to mow her lawn. What is the best way to handle this situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on May. 17, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Tell her "Not to throw stones" or else you will involve the authorities. It doesn't matter what she says, SHE has to prove it's her Dads mower. Period. She has problems so ignor her and don't converse at all with her. If she approaches you or your husband outside, stop what you are doing and turn your back on her and go inside. If she gets hostile or vicious Call the Police. It is the job of the Police to handle a situation like this not yours. We had a crazy neighbor a few years ago that has since moved Thank God. Their retaining wall collapsed and rain water ran into our yard. I called the Police because I knew that she was a nut and unapproachable. The Police Officer went to talk to her and came back & told me she will fix it but "Do not have any contact with her she's very volatile" & if I had anymore problems with her to call the Police again. So Avoid & ignor like she is not even there.

Anonymous

• I would just tell her where y'all got it and how many years you have had it for and tell her that your sorry to hear about hers getting stolen. I dont like stupid neighbors like that! We all have the crazy neighbors though lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on May. 17, 2010

• We keep receipts and paperwork for larger purchases like appliances. Do you have those that you can show her? If you stole it, how would you have the manual? ...Just a thought :) Crazy Neighbors!!!
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 11:47 AM on May. 17, 2010

• have the receipt still? show it to her
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:47 AM on May. 17, 2010

• First of all see if you can find your proof of where & when you bought it... Credit card info, owners manual, etc... then if she tries to start anything about it tell her you need to call the cops down to sort it all out.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:48 AM on May. 17, 2010

• Drinking and doing drugs? I would bet that she isnt a stranger to law enforcement. Her credibility is probably nil so let her produce her pop and his receipt. If thats not enough to shut her up then call the police and put her in her place.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on May. 17, 2010

• this is the op....

Good point! if we stole it why would we have the owners manual! Yeah the recipe is long gone the mower is about 10 yrs old
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on May. 17, 2010

• I would just ignore her.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:41 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I would politely say that no, we bought it from X, you are sorry to hear that her was stolen, and if she is concerned that your is actually HERS, she is going to have to PROVE it, since mowers don't come cheap these days.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 6:08 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Look for your receipt or credit card statement...I wouldn't doubt that she sold it for drug money & forgot
    Carey2006

Answer by Carey2006 at 12:14 AM on Jul. 28, 2010