one income families

just wondering how many kids do u have and have just one income? do u get by or is it really hard for you? just wondering. i am pregnant with baby #2 and i am a stay at home mom i babysit but its been 2yrs since i have watched a kid.my man works makes decent but is getting uptight and worried about money cuz its almost time for baby to be here and he is stressing me out.we manage,we get by and we have some extras i think everything is going to be ok.he gets paid every 2wks and we have anywhere from 300-500 left after paying bills so that money goes for groceries,gas in car,anything else we need and eat out some,and last till he gets paid again. so just wondering who else is doing ok/decent on 1 income and how many children do you have?

alyssa1

Asked by alyssa1 at 11:58 AM on May. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• We have 2 children and we get by fine. My son is on 100% table food now so there has been a slight increase in the grocery bill but not badly.
    Anonymous

• We have one child, we get by fine.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:01 PM on May. 17, 2010

• We have 4, #5 is due in July. We are "supposed" to be receiving child support for my oldest 3 from their dad, but we don't, ever - and we won't. I stay at home, my husband works and we do okay. We don't have a whole lot for extras, but we have an incredible house, 3 cars and a motorcycle that run, and enough to do the occasional fun outing, send the kids to camp, etc.

Answer by missanc at 12:02 PM on May. 17, 2010

• We have 8 and i am a stay at home mommy, my hubby makes decent money and we do fine, sometimes it's about being creative.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:03 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I have one income. I bring home 261 a week after rent. I have a car payment, car insurance, student loans, the electric bill, gas, groceries and lots of hospital/doctors bills. I'm pregnant with baby #2. It's VERY hard but it sounds like you're doing a lot better than I am. I think your SO should relax a little, but I CAN understand his worry. If he is concerned then maybe cut out eating out and take that money and put it in a savings account. You'd be surprised how fast that adds up. There have been weeks where I would have $20 left for groceries and that would have to get me and DD through. Now it has to get me DD and SO through (but now I don't have to pay daycare because SO does all the child care). So, let your SO know you guys are doing pretty well. Save that eating out money for a rainy day or maybe a vacation or something special for you two or even an emergency.
    Anonymous

• We have two and we do fine. You just have to live within your means, plan your meals, plan your activities and budget accordingly. We don't make a ton of money but we only spend about half of my husband salary and save the other half. Only buy things that are necessary and be happy with what you have.
    Anonymous

• Every couple is different either because of their ages and educational backgrounds. Also, how long they waited until they could afford another child plays into it. One wage earner in this day and age is not enough. Stress over loosing a job would be stressful.

Best of Luck up coming birth.
    Anonymous

• We have 2 kids, no car payments, and we had a hard time making it on just my husband's high school teaching salary. He had to get extra work teaching at the community college and another local university. Luckily he was qualified. So he had two part-time and one full-time job, and we got by alright though didn't save much of anything. Most of our extras were spent on my husband's medical bills (and he has insurance) -- the f-ing country. And we lost our daughters' medicaid after he got the extra job...
    Anonymous

• We have 3 kids with one on the way...and only one income. We aren't rich by far, but we manage. But our house and car are paid off, so that helps a lot.
    Anonymous

• its hard for us. But i cant work work it will cost to much. I babysit too but I only have one kids so i make 75 a week thats it. he makes 10.00 and hour. we struggle and have about 10 sometimes at the end of the month
    junebug83

Answer by junebug83 at 2:02 PM on May. 17, 2010