TV in the bedroom?

Does your child have one in their bedroom? Right now she doesn't but for her birthday she got a game that hooks up to the tv (a mat that you jog and jump and do other things on). I would rather not have it attached to the tv in the living room. Thoughts on tv in the bedroom(with no cable)?

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 12:07 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my son has that mat too... he is 4 and had that tv in his room since i conceived and did the second bedroom for my second child - moving the tv from my son's playroom to his bedroom.... he never uses it! sometimes he will put in a video (mostly background noise) but it is an old tv with no cable, just the basics, it was either put it in there or the basement where it really would Never be used and just collect dust... as long as it isnt a problem and the kid is on track, why not? if you have to take away toys for punishment it is another bargaining chip too.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:19 PM on May. 17, 2010

• MY kids are not allowed to have tv in their rooms and they will never will, at least until they move out of my house. I feel that kids need to play and learn and not loaf in front of the tv. If they have unlimited access to tv, they will watch it much more than they should.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:10 PM on May. 17, 2010

• The only thing that will be on the tv is the game...I don't have cable in that room nor am I putting a vcr/dvd player in there.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:11 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I have one in my daughters room. When she was at that age were she wasn't taking regular naps but needed quiet time we would allow her to watch a video on her bed. Now she uses it for those hand held plug and play games. She is not allowed to stay up all night watching tv or anything like that.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:12 PM on May. 17, 2010

• My kids have always had one. It works out great for me. It makes bedtime much easier. They can watch until a certain time or I say "one more show".
    Anonymous

• We are looking to buy a new one for the kids room. The ones we have are just way to big. But we would like to find one that has the DVD player built right in. And yes, we will be giving them cable and a netflix box in there as well. Our house is rather small so the bedrooms are just off the living room, and it would be nice to send them in to their room to watch TV so I don't have to hear PBS for so many hours a day... Plus, I don't care if their room is trashed, but they trash my living room right now and that drives me nuts!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:14 PM on May. 17, 2010

• my son has a tv in his room but the only time he really uses it is when he wants to watch movies (usually when we watch one of our movies) ..he also has a game he connects to the tv he plays sometimes. He does like to fall asleep with the tv on though..idk why, he just needs the noise.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:14 PM on May. 17, 2010

• my 6 yr old does but he rarely gets to watch it. originally we did it because he had a game system and thats fine as long as the child knows they must ask to watch or play it. My son knows it does not go on unbless he asks. My 5 yr old daughter and 2 yr share a room and they do not have one. i really do not allow the kids to watch much tv.
    Anonymous

• My son has one, he's going on two. We mostly use it for him at night though cause we put in some lullaby cd's. He's always had those to help him sleep. He watches tv on it soemtiems during the day, if im busy cleaning or i need some time to relax. I'll turn it on for him, and he plays in his room while he watches it. You can always put it in there anyways, test it out. If you dont like it, take it back out, and use the toy downstairs. You'll control the tv anyways :)
    Anonymous

• My son had a tv with cable and vcr from toddlerhood, plus used the living room one. He is 14, and never really sat and watched all day, nor does he sit and play his PS3 all day either. He has always spent more time outside than in. TV in room doesn't always equal couch potato, plus it is an activity game she will have in there only. Go for it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:19 PM on May. 17, 2010