how old was your child when they fished with a real hook

my son is almost 6 and in the past when we took him fishing he had a kiddie pole with fake bait at the end so he could practice casting and reeling without getting hurt with a hook.
He is now very good at casting and reeling and I want to add a hook on his line so he can catch fish like me and his dad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on May. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son was about 6 or 7 when he got a real hook...he was a seriously scary caster,LOL. He had fun casting with the fake bait..until he cast it out in the front yard and it wrapped around a electric wire,lol. I used to cast my pole in and if I got a bite, i'd let him take over but I wouldnt let him cast it in...no way,lol. Dangerous to the eyes,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:45 PM on May. 17, 2010

• My kids were two when they first started fishing. What is the point of fishing with a fake hook?
    Anonymous

• We took my son fishing for the first time last month. He is 2 and he used a real hook.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:23 PM on May. 17, 2010

• My daughter did it last year at 6.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:24 PM on May. 17, 2010

• A fake hook?! How frustrating would that be for the kid?! They'd never be able to catch anything! He should have parental help while fishing anyway, so why not use a real hook?
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 12:35 PM on May. 17, 2010

• He loved using fake bait and never had an issue with it...I just was always nervous about him getting stuck with a hook. He is an old pro at casting and feel ok with him using a hook. I was just wondering when people generally started their own kids with a real hook
    Anonymous