to receive or not to receive

Let's say you are of a Christian faith that allows all church members and guests to receive communion when served. You go to visit a Catholic relative and are invited to attend services. The Catholic informs you that during the mass only Catholics are invited to receive the communion but you are more than welcome to come forward and receive a blessing.

Do you go up and just take the blessing but not the host. Or do you go and receive the host because you do not agree with Catholic doctrine... and after all no one at the church knows that your not Catholic.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• When I was younger, we use to visit relatives, who were Catholic but we weren't.  We went to church with them but didnt go up to receive communion or the blessing, we just stayed seated. 

Kathy7_20

Answer by Kathy7_20 at 12:33 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I would respect the doctrine of whatever church I'm in, regardless of catholic, protestant, etc. I think anything less is just wrong.
    Anonymous

• Because I do not believe in the catholic traditions of receiving communion.. I do not go up period.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:41 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Well, I for one goofed once at a Catholic Mass for Funeral. I didn't really hear what the priest said, what he SAID was when you come up, if your arms are crossed, you will receive just a blessing and if they are uncrossed, you receive communion. I didn't hear the part about "if you are not Catholic, you can't receive communion." so I went up with my arms crossed, because I saw some others with theirs crossed, but then when I got there, I uncrossed them and he was flustered and said "Do you want to reveive the Host?" and I nodded "yes" so I did get it. When I figured it out later, I was embarrassed.. but whatever...
    FemRising

Answer by FemRising at 2:10 PM on May. 17, 2010

• stay seated
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:20 PM on May. 17, 2010

• taking communion after you've been informed that non-Catholics dont receive it there is rude. even if no one knows you're not Catholic your Catholic friend knows and might be upset. personally, going up for just the blessing would be too much for my anxiety so i would just stay seated.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:26 PM on May. 17, 2010

• who is The Catholic?

I'm Catholic and the eucharist is a very important mass we believe that when you take the eucharist you are agreeing to the principles of the Nicene Creed.  If someone who isn't Catholic takes Communion it doesn't bother me, but the reason that the chuch asked them to refrain is because in accepting the eucharist you are acknowleding your belief as stated in the Creed. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:04 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Ryansmom.... i married a catholic and did not receive communion at my wedding... but my mom thought that is was a ridiculous rule so she accepted communion. I thought that was horrid of her... and HUGLY disrespectful of my husband's side of the family.

op

Anonymous

• I would never go to one if I could help it. As far as a blessing I would rather not since they are not blessing me in the name of anyone I follow.
    Anonymous

• how nice your mother has no respect.
    Anonymous