Is there anyone that would NOT homeschool, even if they could?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on May. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I most definately would not homeschool!!! IMO kids need school for socialization and to learn through different styles. School prepares them for the real world in a way I couldn't...
    mom-x-2

Answer by mom-x-2 at 12:32 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I wouldn't. I would be worried that I couldn't teach them all they need to know. I am not organized and I don't have that kind of patience. Plus I like my kids to have the socialization of school.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:32 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I homeschool and love it. I honestly don't understand why people are against it. I know this isn't the question, but I had to put my .02 in. :)
    Anonymous

• Anon:32 - I'm not actually AGAINST it I'm just not necessarily FOR it.
    Anonymous

• i would not unless i felt there was a need for my child to be pulled out of school..such as excessive bullying and the school system doing nothing about it
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:34 PM on May. 17, 2010

• No, I would not homeschool. I could see it turning into a battle with my kids, them thinking that since they are home they don't need to work and can slack off. My children need socialization and to be around their peers-- something they could not get at home (not many kids in our neighborhood their ages). My biggest fear would be the quality of their education, are they learning everything they need to know, and would they learn everything that they needed (or was required) for college-- if they choose to go on to college. I will leave the teaching up to qualified and trained teachers.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:37 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I was homes/unschooled... I would NEVER put my children though it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:39 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I think most people just don't understand what homeschooling is. I used to be against homeschooling too until I had to do it. I was shocked at how much there is out there is terms of resources and support groups. Homeschool children have tons of opportunities for socialization. And we get discounts on many of the classes that other kids take on evenings and weekends like dance, instruments, martial arts, and swimming. Because these business see that they can make more money because there is a whole population of kids available on those off hours. And they can do all the field trips and tours that other kids get, maybe even more because some places that can't accommodate a whole class can allow a smaller group to visit. Socialization is not a problem for homeschoolers because half the time we are not even "home".

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:42 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I would homeschool, if I felt there were serious needs not being met. All good parents add to their children's education at home. I think it is important for kids to learn how to get along with and be near all kinds of people. My first choice is sending them to school.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 12:43 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Currently homeschooling and I will admit I'm on the fence regarding the older grades especially high school. I know there is more then enough curriculum, resources, and support groups out there to effectively teach high school at home. I know I can make my own diploma, do my own transcripts and that kids CAN go to college with those things. I'm just not 100% sure if I have it in me at this point. Although my kids are still YOUNG 8/9 so I have a few years to go. We are just taking it year by year. We have already committed to next school year and I'm starting to plan for it. In March 2011 we'll approach the the question "Are we homeschooling?" and make a determination then for the following fall. We didn't always home school our kids did go to public schools; there are always the 3 MYTHS regarding homeschooling 1) lack of socialization 2) lack of education 3) parent's are not able to educate their own children.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 12:45 PM on May. 17, 2010