Soy....

My son is Lactose intolerant and I give him Soy cheese, yogurt and some other soy products.. I see posts about soy and side effects or people being concerned with Soy but I have yet to find an actual article about this.. can someone direct me or tell me what the problem is with soy??

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 12:32 PM on May. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• For those with children on the autism spectrum, soy is one of those foods that children w/ASD have difficulty metabolizing b/c they're missing the necessary enzymes, either completely or in enough quantity, therefore the soy causes negative reactions in the children.

For the general population, soy contains high quantities of phytoestrogens, which are endocrine disruptors, and there have been some studies showing that these phytoestrogens may increase the risk for developing breast cancer (in both males & females)There is also evidence that soy phytoestrogens could impact male fertility and disrupt thyroid function, leading to goiters and hypothyroidism.

Read more here for links to the studies & reports: http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/index.htm
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:01 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I never heard of a problem with soy. Google it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:34 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Well, that's just it.. I have googled it and can't seem to find anything, but makes me wonder where some other mom's are getting their information then..or why I keep seeing negative comments about soy with no source from anyone..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:37 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I think it has to do with most U.S. soy crops being genetically altered. it also has something to do with hormones. I can't tell you more than that.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 12:38 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I was talking about this with my pediatrician friend. I think the studies have involved major extreme overuse. Soy is certainly in everything we eat almost, so we all get plenty of it. I would make sure that every meal isn't a veggie burger or tofu, but I think giving some soy a few times a day isn't a problem, and the benefits probably outweigh the effects. But also remember that soy does not equal meat or dairy -- it's a different animal, so to speak, and not an exact replacement for the protein, calcium, fats you're looking for. So make sure you're balancing his diet with things like spinach, broccoli, fish, and avocado.
    Anonymous

• There is good soy and there is bad soy. I would stay away from soy cheese (it is pretty highly processed); goat and sheep cheese are better options. Tofu and edamame from non-GMO soy are good soy foods. The average meat eater ingests a lot of soy due to the animal feed.

Dr. Neal Barnard, of the Physcians Committee for Responsible Medicine, recently published this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/neal-barnard-md/settling-the-soy-controve_b_453966.html

Answer by rkoloms at 5:01 PM on May. 17, 2010