Question about my dogs please help me

We got a new puppy about two weeks ago. She was a stray the pound picked up she is about 10 months old. She is a really good dog she already responds to her name and when we go for walks she know when we are home, b/c she will head up the drive way. She has learned the word "no" and she can sit on command. I feed her tiny pieces of dog food from my hand and she usues her tongue only, I don't even feel her teeth.
My other dog is a good dog as well. She is old and doesn't do much. We have had her for a long time she can do a few tricks, but she is not much for treats so she isn't that into training.
So my problem is that @ first the two dogs got along great. Last few days my older dog has been pinning the puppy down and barking @ her. We tell her to stop and she usually stops right away. Last night she bit the puppy, no blood, puppy just cried. I didn't see what led up to it, but how do I teach them to get along?

scout82

Asked by scout82 at 12:55 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Pets

• the older dog is just showing the little one who's boss and whos domain it is. Itll take a bit but theyll figure each other out.
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 1:02 PM on May. 17, 2010

• I agree with PP This is nothing to worry about. Dogs are pack oriented and all packs have a ranking system from who is highest up and down. The older dog is a alpha and is just establishing dominance over the little one.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 1:28 PM on May. 17, 2010

• Thank you! Do you have any suggestions on what I should do? Or do I just have to wait it out?
    scout82

Answer by scout82 at 3:37 PM on May. 17, 2010

• i have seen cesar milan make the dominate dog lay on her side while the other dog stands above her making that dog dominate over for that time being, you are suppose to be the dominate pack leaders not your dogs versus another dog. don't let the dog laying down up until she calms down. i would do it everytime she hurts the younger one.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:14 PM on May. 17, 2010

• As much as I like Cesar, that is one thing that I have a hard time agreeing with. Dogs will sort out their pecking order in their own way, and unless there is blood being drawn I personally think it is best to let them sort it out on their own. Having owned many dogs over the years and generally upwards of 4-5 at a time I have yet to ever have any problems with an older dog downright injurying a younger dog when working out their positions in the pack. Yes humans should always be dominant over any of the dogs, but to step in and rearrange the order the dogs sort out, tends to create more tension then would be there if left to sort it out on their own. Unlike humans, dogs rarely overexert their dominance over another dog. Just watch make sure the older one is not being too aggressive, and drawing blood. The puppy will cry and make noises but that is to be expected, until s/he learns his/her position which shouldn't be too long
    jojuzach

Answer by jojuzach at 6:25 PM on May. 18, 2010

• i would wait it out because the older dog is the pack leader either way! i would just wait it out( that is how dogs tell each other hey i am the boss here not you) believe me ihave had my share of dogs fighting for leadership.. i live a house that is split into 3 apartments and between us all there are 5 dogs and they all share a yard.. i was here first so my dog (capone) is the leader and my other dog ozzy is second in comand. then my 1st neighbors dogs (they had one dog when they moved in then adopted another one a month ago, they had two fights to establish who was 3rd in command. but all our dogs get along fine.) so when u bring a new dog into your home remember they will fight a little at first for maybe a month or so but its normal. good luck!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on May. 20, 2010