20 month lisp

This question probably sounds totally ignorant... Is a lisp at 20 months old something to worry about for future speech? My first daughter has always pronounced things easily and doesn't sound babyish. My little one is now 20 months and just started adding the final "s" (yeah became yes, she's adding plurals, etc.). Only her S sounds like a "th" -- I don't mean to overreact or anything, but I'm wondering if this is something that typically corrects itself or if she'll have to work on it later?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on May. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's fine. My daughter still had a lisp in kindergarten. They evaluated her speech and decided to do nothing but wait because they thought she would grow out of it. She did. Just enjoy his baby talk. I always loved that stage.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:01 PM on May. 17, 2010

• lol! I'm laughing because my son, 19m, just started doing the same thing!! Out of nowhere! It's not major, but just some plural words... "puppies" is now "puppeeths." I'm hoping he'll grow out of it, but usually school systems evaluate speech pretty early on and start intervention if they notice anything out of the ordinary. Thanks for posting this, some relief that other little ones are doing the same thing (though that doesn't make it better :-))
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 1:13 PM on May. 17, 2010